Setting up mixed DNA/Multi-State RAxML analysis

Michael Forthman

Jan 23, 2016, 12:55:27 PM1/23/16
to raxml
Hello,

I'm trying to run a ML analysis using CIPRES RAxML on a combined DNA and morphological (multi-state) dataset. I've posted to the CIPRES Google Groups, but was recommended to post here instead. I'm wanting to use a partition file (-q) and currently have it as such:

DNA, p1 = 1-1024
DNA, p2 = 1025-1855
DNA, p3 = 1856-2628
DNA, p4 = 2629-3054
MULTI, morph = 3055-3199

Here is the problem I am having trouble figuring out: I want to use a GTR+GAMMA+I for each of the four DNA partitions, but use the Lewis Mkv model (with asc correction) for the multi-state partition. Is there anyway I can specify this in the partition file? If I try selecting options in CIPRES that apply to the DNA partitions, I cannot select anything for the multi-state partitions, and vice versa.

Cheers, Michael

Michael Forthman

Jan 24, 2016, 8:53:22 PM1/24/16
to raxml
I'm thinking it may be easier to run this on the desktop version of RAxML. However, I'm still confused as to how I can treat my partitions the way that I'm wanting to. I have to specify (-m), which only let's me specify one model. If I put GTRGAMMA, then this would be applied to each DNA and MULTI partition. But if I list MULTIGAMMA, would this apply the specified model in (-K) for MULTI partition but the GTRGAMMA model to DNA partitions (without estimating invariant sites)?

Also, I want to include ascertainment bias for the MULTI partition. Am I correct that I simply add ASC_ before MULTI in the partition file, and then in the command line -asc_corr=lewis if this is the correction I want?

So far, this is how my command line is looking: raxmlHPC -f a -s CombinedMatrix.phy -x 2016 -p 4325 -n Result -m MULTIGAMMA -q partition.txt -asc_corr=lewis -K MK -o Peiratespunctorius -N 20

Cheers, Michael

Alexandros Stamatakis

Jan 25, 2016, 3:17:55 AM1/25/16
to ra...@googlegroups.com

On 25.01.2016 02:53, Michael Forthman wrote:
> I'm thinking it may be easier to run this on the desktop version of
> RAxML. However, I'm still confused as to how I can treat my partitions
> the way that I'm wanting to. I have to specify (-m), which only let's me
> specify one model. If I put GTRGAMMA, then this would be applied to each
> DNA and MULTI partition. But if I list MULTIGAMMA, would this apply the
> specified model in (-K) for MULTI partition but the GTRGAMMA model to
> DNA partitions (without estimating invariant sites)?

from the -m string only the model of rate heterogeneity will be
extracted, which is applied to all partitions (DNA and MULTI).

the value passed via -K then specifies which model will be applied to
the multi-state partition ...

> Also, I want to include ascertainment bias for the MULTI partition. Am I
> correct that I simply add ASC_ before MULTI in the partition file, and
> then in the command line -asc_corr=lewis if this is the correction I want?

yes, that should work.

> So far, this is how my command line is looking: raxmlHPC -f a -s
> CombinedMatrix.phy -x 2016 -p 4325 -n Result -m MULTIGAMMA -q
> partition.txt -asc_corr=lewis -K MK -o Peiratespunctorius -N 20

looks good,

alexis

> Cheers, Michael
>
> On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 9:55:27 AM UTC-8, Michael Forthman wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to run a ML analysis using CIPRES RAxML on a combined DNA
> and morphological (multi-state) dataset. I've posted to the CIPRES
> Google Groups, but was recommended to post here instead. I'm wanting
> to use a partition file (-q) and currently have it as such:
>
> DNA, p1 = 1-1024
> DNA, p2 = 1025-1855
> DNA, p3 = 1856-2628
> DNA, p4 = 2629-3054
> MULTI, morph = 3055-3199
>
> Here is the problem I am having trouble figuring out: I want to use
> a GTR+GAMMA+I for each of the four DNA partitions, but use the Lewis
> Mkv model (with asc correction) for the multi-state partition. Is
> there anyway I can specify this in the partition file? If I try
> selecting options in CIPRES that apply to the DNA partitions, I
> cannot select anything for the multi-state partitions, and vice versa.
>
> Cheers, Michael
>
> --

Alexandros (Alexis) Stamatakis

Research Group Leader, Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies
Full Professor, Dept. of Informatics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
Adjunct Professor, Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University
of Arizona at Tucson

www.exelixis-lab.org

Mark Miller

Jan 25, 2016, 9:17:06 AM1/25/16
to raxml
I believe it is possible to create that command line with the CIPRES interface.

Alexis, I have a follow up question.
If one wanted to run the Multi partition with an invariable option (but not the DNA partitions), could one do that?
What would the command line look like?

Mark

Alexandros Stamatakis

Jan 25, 2016, 9:24:05 AM1/25/16
to ra...@googlegroups.com
no one can't, the same model of rate het. will be applied to all
partitions, there is no way to specify distinct models of rate het among
distinct partitions ...

alexis

Michael Forthman

Jan 25, 2016, 11:28:46 AM1/25/16
to raxml
Thank you Alexis!

Michael Forthman

Jan 25, 2016, 11:57:05 AM1/25/16
to raxml
Hello again,

I have tried to start RAxML 8.1.15 on the desktop and get the following error message:

The file RAxML_flagCheck RAxML wants to open for writing or appending can not be opened [mode: wb], exiting.

This file was not included in the download. I haven't seen any posts on the matter. I tried creating a file with the file name the program is searching for, but I was still replicating the error message.

Cheers, Michael

Michael Forthman

Jan 25, 2016, 3:18:15 PM1/25/16
to raxml
I figured out the issue; I needed to set permission to read & write for the RAxML directory and all of it's contents.

Alexandros Stamatakis

Jan 26, 2016, 2:06:34 AM1/26/16
to ra...@googlegroups.com
correct, also please upgrade to the latest RAxML version 8.2.4:

https://github.com/stamatak/standard-RAxML/releases

alexis