'Problem reading number of species and sites'

Alice2430

Aug 9, 2012, 9:37:41 AM8/9/12
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm (very) new to using RAxML and have been trying to run a RAxML analysis but I keep getting the error message 'problem reading number of species and sites'. I have double checked the number of species and sites in my alignment and they match the information at the top of the file so I'm not quite sure where I'm going wrong?! Any help would be very gratefully recieved,

Thanks
Alice

Fidel Botero

Aug 9, 2012, 9:47:53 AM8/9/12
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Hello Alice,
A frequent mistake is to include spaces in the species' name. RAxML reads the first space as the separator between taxa name and sequence, so every character after this space is considered as a nucleotide/aminoacid. Maybe this is your case ?

Hope it's useful !

Fidel

2012/8/9 Alice2430 <funky....@gmail.com>

--
Fidel Botero
Biologiste

Alexandros Stamatakis

Aug 9, 2012, 10:03:43 AM8/9/12
to ra...@googlegroups.com
thanks Fidel, that may be one cause.

Alice, please also have a look at the relaxed phylip format
specification in the old raxml manual:

http://sco.h-its.org/exelixis/oldPage/RAxML-Manual.7.0.4.pdf

Alexis

--
Alexandros (Alexis) Stamatakis

Research Group Leader, Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies
Full Professor, Dept. of Informatics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
Adjunct Professor, Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University
of Arizona at Tucson

www.exelixis-lab.org

Alice2430

Aug 10, 2012, 3:08:00 AM8/10/12
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks for the help, I've been through the sequence names and I have no spaces, but some of the names were exactly 10 long meaning they ran straight into the data matrix which I think may have been causing the problem. It seems to be running now :)

Thanks again for the prompt responses

Alice

Ramona Walls

Mar 28, 2018, 6:45:36 PM3/28/18
to raxml
Another common problem is having more than one blank space after your taxon name in the phylip file.

Ramona

Alexandros Stamatakis

Mar 29, 2018, 12:27:12 AM3/29/18
to ra...@googlegroups.com
That's actually not a problem in RAxML as it can parse the relaxed
PHYLIP format that allows for this (i.e., several spaces after the taxon
name).

Alexis
> --

Alexandros (Alexis) Stamatakis

Research Group Leader, Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies
Full Professor, Dept. of Informatics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology

www.exelixis-lab.org

Ramona Walls

Mar 30, 2018, 5:03:41 PM3/30/18
to raxml
RAxML can handle it fine, but parser (as part of ExaML) gives the error message.

Alexandros Stamatakis

Apr 3, 2018, 3:19:39 AM4/3/18
to ra...@googlegroups.com
That should not be the case with ExaML either, can you provide an
example where this happens?

Alexis
> > an email to raxml+un...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> > <mailto:raxml+un...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>
> --
> Alexandros (Alexis) Stamatakis
>
> Research Group Leader, Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies
> Full Professor, Dept. of Informatics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
>
> www.exelixis-lab.org <http://www.exelixis-lab.org>

Ramona Walls

Apr 4, 2018, 8:19:57 PM4/4/18
to raxml
I downloaded ExaML 3.0.20 (latest as of a few weeks ago), compiled parse using Makefile.SSE3.gcc (on Stampede2 on TACC), and tried to run it on a file that had two spaces after the model column, as below:

DNA,  Subset1 = 1-238
DNA,  Subset2 = 239-520
DNA,  Subset3 = 521-1689

I got the error message about  'problem reading number of species and sites'. When I removed the extra spaces, it worked fine.

I can't share the input files here as they aren't my data, but if you'd like, I can email them to you.

Ramona

Alexandros Stamatakis

Apr 5, 2018, 12:23:09 AM4/5/18
to ra...@googlegroups.com
okay I see thanks, that's not a problem in the alignment file (that's
what I understood) but with parsing the partition file ... now it's
clear, no need to send me the files ...

Alexis

Maryam

Aug 22, 2018, 2:58:26 PM8/22/18
to raxml
Hi,

I have an alignment file which I used it to infer a tree using RAxMl and I did not get any error. Now I am going to use ExaML on this alignment, but I keep getting this error: "problem reading number of species and sites". I should mention that I do not have any space in the names of the specious.

Thanks,
Mary

Alexey Kozlov

Aug 22, 2018, 3:24:15 PM8/22/18
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mary,

if I recall it correctly ExaML parser supports PHYLIP alignments only.

So could you please check and if necessary convert your alignment to PHYLIP (e.g. using the convertFasta2Phylip.sh
script shipped with RAxML).

Best,
Alexey

Maryam

Aug 22, 2018, 3:56:17 PM8/22/18
to raxml
Dear Alexey,

Thanks for your prompt response. Can I use ExaML to infer a tree on a set of RNA sequences? If so, which model should I use?

Thanks,
Mary

Alexey Kozlov

Aug 28, 2018, 5:06:56 PM8/28/18
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mary,

yes, please use DNA model for RNA sequences (-m DNA).

Best,
Alexey
> <javascript:>
> > <mailto:raxml+un...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.

Alexandros Stamatakis

Sep 2, 2018, 11:32:50 PM9/2/18
to ra...@googlegroups.com
> Thanks for your prompt response. Can I use ExaML to infer a tree on a
> set of RNA sequences? If so, which model should I use?

Yes, you can, in terms of model selection you just proceed as for DNA
data. So GTRCAT or GTRGAMMA are a good choice here.

Alexis