Bootstopping criteria

Noor White

Jul 28, 2016, 2:11:37 PM7/28/16
to raxml
Hi all,

I've read through Pattengale et al. 2009 (I use their notation below) and the RAxML v8.2.X manual, but a few of the details of the bootstopping criteria are still unclear. I am specifically looking to run the -#|N autoMRE option (and assuming that the consensus tree criteria in the RAxML manual (page 25) are the same as the Weighted Robinson-Foulds distance-based Criterion (WC) in the Pattengale paper).

-What is the default number of permutations (p) that are run every 50 bootstraps in RAxML (and can p be changed)?

-How are the support values derived in order to calculate the WRF between the bootstrap subsets (c(s1) and c(s2))?

-What does a "threshold for MR-based bootstopping criteria of 0.03" (RAxML manual page 10) mean? Can it be interpreted that the c(s1) and c(s2) trees have no node that differs in support by more than 3%?

Thanks in advance for any clarification on the above.

Alexandros Stamatakis

Aug 1, 2016, 3:15:16 AM8/1/16
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Dear Noor,

> I've read through Pattengale et al. 2009 (I use their notation below)
> and the RAxML v8.2.X manual, but a few of the details of the
> bootstopping criteria are still unclear. I am specifically looking to
> run the -#|N autoMRE option (and assuming that the consensus tree
> criteria in the RAxML manual (page 25) are the same as the Weighted
> Robinson-Foulds distance-based Criterion (WC) in the Pattengale paper).
>

> -What is the default number of permutations (/p/) that are run every 50
> bootstraps in RAxML (and can /p/ be changed)?

from the command line help:

--bootstop-perms=number specify the number of permutations to be
conducted for the bootstopping/bootstrap convergence test.
The allowed minimum number is 100!

DEFAULT: 100

In same cases using 1000 is better.

> -How are the support values derived in order to calculate the WRF
> between the bootstrap subsets (/c(s1)/ and /c(s2)/)?

from the consesus supports of the respective tree sets.

> -What does a "threshold for MR-based bootstopping criteria of 0.03"
> (RAxML manual page 10) mean? Can it be interpreted that the /c(s1)/ and
> /c(s2)/ trees have no node that differs in support by more than 3%?

It means that on average the difference is smaller than 3% for 99% of
the permutations.

Alexis

> Thanks in advance for any clarification on the above.
>

> --

Alexandros (Alexis) Stamatakis

Research Group Leader, Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies
Full Professor, Dept. of Informatics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
Adjunct Professor, Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University
of Arizona at Tucson

www.exelixis-lab.org

megje...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2016, 1:21:00 AM11/30/16
to raxml
Hi Noor,

I am interested in knowing whether you were successful at specifying the number of permutations with "--bootstop-perms=number".
RAxML simply tells me 'unknown option -- bootstrap-perms...etc'

Thanks,
Meg

Alexandros Stamatakis

Nov 30, 2016, 3:10:12 AM11/30/16
to ra...@googlegroups.com
you might be using an old version of raxml, upgrade to v 8.2.9 and it
should work,

alexis