Choosing the best tree from the OUT file

SUNITHA

Nov 11, 2016, 4:35:06 AM11/11/16
to raxml

I have called RaxMLHPC MPI as follows

mpiexec -np 32 /share/apps/bio/RAxML/raxmlHPC-MPI-SSE3 -f d -m GTRCAT -s /home/my_alignment.phylip -n my_file.out -p $RANDOM -b $RANDOM -N 500

Got an OUT file - RAxML_bootstrap.my_file.out

Overall Time for 504 Bootstraps 336001.156673
Average Time per Bootstrap 666.668962
All 504 bootstrapped trees written to: /home/sp/RAxML_bootstrap.my_file.out

How to get the best tree from these 504 trees? Could someone help me please?

Thanks in advance!

Christian Cramer

Nov 11, 2016, 5:15:58 AM11/11/16
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sunitha,

there should be a file like RAxML_bestTree.my_file
Add the file-extension .tre and you have your best tree

Bests,
Christian

Alexandros Stamatakis

Nov 11, 2016, 9:28:40 AM11/11/16
to ra...@googlegroups.com
sunitha,

the command line you indicated will only generate bootstrap tree
replicates, so there is no reason to expect RAxML to calculate a
best-known ML tree on the original alignment for this command,

alexis

On 11.11.2016 11:15, 'Christian Cramer' via raxml wrote:
> Hi Sunitha,
>
> there should be a file like RAxML_bestTree.my_file
> Add the file-extension .tre and you have your best tree
>
> Bests,
> Christian

> <mailto:suni...@gmail.com>>:
>

> I have called RaxMLHPC MPI as follows
>
> mpiexec -np 32 /share/apps/bio/RAxML/raxmlHPC-MPI-SSE3 -f d -m
> GTRCAT -s /home/my_alignment.phylip -n my_file.out -p $RANDOM -b
> $RANDOM -N 500
>

> Got an OUT file - RAxML_bootstrap.my_file.out
>
> Overall Time for 504 Bootstraps 336001.156673
> Average Time per Bootstrap 666.668962
> All 504 bootstrapped trees written to:
> /home/sp/RAxML_bootstrap.my_file.out
>
> How to get the best tree from these 504 trees? Could someone help me
> please?
>

> Thanks in advance!
>
> --
>

> --

Alexandros (Alexis) Stamatakis

Research Group Leader, Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies
Full Professor, Dept. of Informatics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
Adjunct Professor, Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University
of Arizona at Tucson

www.exelixis-lab.org

SUNITHA P

Nov 12, 2016, 3:37:16 AM11/12/16
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Christian & Alexis for your reply.

​@ Christian, no such file was generated.

@ Alexis,
Could you please help me to modify the code, so as to get the best tree after bootstrapping. ​
Do I need to re-run the program or is there any way out to calculate the best tree from the bootstrap replicates, already got?
If I need to re-run, how should I modify the code?

Please help me out.

​Best

Sunitha

Alexandros (Alexis) Stamatakis

Research Group Leader, Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies
Full Professor, Dept. of Informatics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
Adjunct Professor, Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University
of Arizona at Tucson

www.exelixis-lab.org

Alexandros Stamatakis

Nov 12, 2016, 6:45:30 AM11/12/16
to ra...@googlegroups.com

On 12.11.2016 09:36, SUNITHA P wrote:
> Thank you Christian & Alexis for your reply.
>
> ​@ Christian, no such file was generated.
>
> @ Alexis,
> Could you please help me to modify the code, so as to get the best tree
> after bootstrapping. ​
> Do I need to re-run the program or is there any way out to calculate the
> best tree from the bootstrap replicates, already got?
> If I need to re-run, how should I modify the code?

please have a look at the very comprehensive RAxML manual:

http://sco.h-its.org/exelixis/resource/download/NewManual.pdf

and at the step by step tutorial:

http://sco.h-its.org/exelixis/web/software/raxml/hands_on.html

alexis