Hardware requirements RAxML

jaguilar

Jul 14, 2015, 9:24:48 AM7/14/15
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Dear all

 Greetings from Ecuador.
 I am Research Assistant at the National Institute of Public Health in Ecuador and I am interested in implementing a Molecular Evolutionary
 Genetics Lab. I want to install some software and I need some information about your program RAxML.

 I am sure that you would consider my question stupid but I need this information in order to justify the purchase of equipment.
 In order to buy computers, I must provide documentation with information about the specific hardware requirements such as Memory Capacity, Processor Capacity, HD Size, Platform, etc. Otherwise they won't buy them.
 Therefore, I 'd be really grateful if you could help me with this information about RAxML.

 A priori, I will analyse a priori DNA sequence data - over 10 -15 genes, around 1500 bp each from 700 - 1000 individuals.
 What are the plausible requirements? How much Memory Ram, HD Size, Platform perhaps, cores - frequency????

 I would really appreciate very much your kind help with me.
 Thanks a lot in advance.

 Sincerely;

Alexandros Stamatakis

Jul 14, 2015, 1:05:56 PM7/14/15
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Hola Juan,

> Greetings from Ecuador.
> I am Research Assistant at the National Institute of Public Health in
> Ecuador and I am interested in implementing a Molecular Evolutionary
> Genetics Lab. I want to install some software and I need
> some information about your program RAxML.
>
> I am sure that you would consider my question stupid but I need this
> information in order to justify the purchase of equipment.
> In order to buy computers, I must provide documentation with
> information about the specific hardware requirements such as Memory
> Capacity, Processor Capacity, HD Size, Platform, etc. Otherwise they
> won't buy them.
> Therefore, I 'd be really grateful if you could help me with
> this information about RAxML.
>
> A priori, I will analyse a priori DNA sequence data - over 10 -15
> genes, around 1500 bp each from 700 - 1000 individuals.
> What are the plausible requirements? How much Memory Ram, HD Size,
> Platform perhaps, cores - frequency????

You definitely need a Linux based system, preferably running Ubuntu,
then the key thing is to calculate the memory requirements of your
analyses, you can do this via the on-line calculator at:

http://sco.h-its.org/exelixis/web/software/raxml/index.html

Multiply that value by 4 and you will obtain reasonable minimum RAM
requirements for your system.

In terms of cores, I'd say buy as many as you can, the clock frequency
is not that important because RAxML performance is mainly limited by RAM
access speed not processor speed. In terms of hard disk you don't need
that much at least for RAxML, i.e., 200GB will surely do.

All the best,

Alexis

> I would really appreciate very much your kind help with me.
> Thanks a lot in advance.
>
> Sincerely;
>
> --

Alexandros (Alexis) Stamatakis

Research Group Leader, Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies
Full Professor, Dept. of Informatics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
Adjunct Professor, Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University
of Arizona at Tucson

www.exelixis-lab.org