IC (Internode cofidence) / TCA from partial (taxa) gene trees

Matthew Brown

Nov 8, 2017, 9:52:53 AM11/8/17
to raxml
HI Kassian and Alexandros,

I am trying to do some IC/TCA analyses with RAxML on a phylogenomic dataset that I developed. I am trying to do IC analyses on this dataset, but it seems that RAxML (v8.2.6) does not allow for incomplete taxon sampling in gene trees using the -L option. I am wondering if I am missing something, as it says partial is allowable from 8.2.0 on. In the manual on pg49 it states "Also note that, as of version 8.2.0 We can conduct TC/IC calculations on collections of partial gene trees. The corrections we apply for partial gene trees are described in this paper here: http://dx.doi.org/10.1101/022053".

Thank you
Matt

Matthew Brown

Nov 8, 2017, 12:26:38 PM11/8/17
to raxml
I figured out the problem, which was in my call of Raxml, so there is no need to reply.

needed the option "-f i"

Thank you
Matt

Matthew Brown

Nov 8, 2017, 2:35:34 PM11/8/17
to raxml
I still have a question if MR and MRE trees are still able to be constructed from partial input trees. If you run -L MRE it will core dump.

Thanks,
Matt

Alexandros Stamatakis

Nov 9, 2017, 4:33:36 AM11/9/17
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Dear Matt,

Thanks for answering your own question :-)

Unfortunately, building MR and MRE trees works only on sets of trees
where each tree in the set contains all taxa.

Alexis
> --

Alexandros (Alexis) Stamatakis

Research Group Leader, Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies
Full Professor, Dept. of Informatics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology

www.exelixis-lab.org

Matthew Brown

Nov 22, 2017, 11:54:44 AM11/22/17
to raxml
Hi Alexis,

One final question which I can not seem to find the answer to.

When using -f i with a ML tree and a set of partial (taxa) gene trees, what do the branch labels represent. It is not clear if they are IC and TC or TC and IC. I am pretty sure they are IC and TC, but I would like to confirm this.

Thanks,
Matt

Alexandros Stamatakis

Nov 23, 2017, 4:29:30 AM11/23/17
to ra...@googlegroups.com
They are IC, TC is the score over the entire tree.

Alexis