Raven 3.5 Voron index reduce time

Kyle Levien

May 21, 2018, 2:35:45 PM5/21/18
We have a couple multi-map reduce index that appears to be taking a very long time per batch to reduce. These indexes are fairly sizable, but I'm seeing what looks like a lot of 'idle' time in the indexing stats, where I see total durations of over a minute, but individual ms timings of just a couple hundred (screencap attached). Any idea what might be causing this? Does the server implement thread waiting if it's being hammered too much?

Thanks,
Kyle

Kyle Levien

May 21, 2018, 2:41:50 PM5/21/18
As a follow up, I tried stopping and restarting the server and see index times starts quick but fairly quickly ramp back up to over a minute per batch. Here's a capture of one of the faster earlier batches:

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

May 21, 2018, 2:49:49 PM5/21/18
to ravendb
Are you running multiple indexes at the same time?

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

Kyle Levien

May 21, 2018, 3:05:40 PM5/21/18
When I first saw the issue, yes it was just after initializing all our indexes, but it was down to just two when I stopped and restarted the server and got the repro.

Kyle Levien

May 21, 2018, 3:07:11 PM5/21/18

It is down to just the one index and this is what I see after a restart (increasing index size, seemingly exponential to batch size)

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)