Azure D-Serie (SSD) + RavenDB

Viktor

Feb 27, 2015, 8:19:14 AM2/27/15
to rav...@googlegroups.com
hello!
my question is not really related to RavenDB
but i am not sure how and if the temporary local SSD could be useful?
this SSD is not guaranteed to be persistent, meaning that the data may be lost, isn't?
maybe somebody has some experience with it?
thanks!
viktor

Vlad Kosarev

Feb 27, 2015, 8:48:16 AM2/27/15
to rav...@googlegroups.com
As you said, local ssd is temp drive so not useful for primary Raven db. In theory you could use it for read only replica.

Here's what Gu said about the use case -
A temporary drive on the VMs (D:\ on Windows, /mnt or /mnt/resource on Linux) is mapped to the local SSDs exposed on the D-Service VMs, and provides a really good option for replicated storage workloads, like MongoDB, or for significantly increasing the performance of SQL Server 2014 by enabling its unique Buffer Pool Extensions (BPE) feature.

I am not sure how this would apply to RavenDB but possibly there's something in 3.0 that might use this.

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Feb 27, 2015, 9:34:01 AM2/27/15
to ravendb
You can use that for temp storage. In Voron, we have the notion of scratch buffers, which is temporary buffer that do not need to survive a db restart.

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

Nick Champion

Feb 27, 2015, 9:40:26 AM2/27/15
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Depending on which Azure region you are in, Premium storage is currently in preview, this allows you to have a redundant persistent SSD drive.

Viktor

Feb 27, 2015, 10:24:23 AM2/27/15
to rav...@googlegroups.com
hi all!
thank you so much for all the information you have provided!
it was really helpful (especially about Azure Premium Storage )
thanks!
viktor