ravendb embedded

Kijana Woodard

Aug 19, 2016, 11:56:00 PM8/19/16
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Google has a lot of old answers, so I'm looking for definitive answers for Raven 3.0.30153 and 3.5+.

1/5. Should we ignore the Raven.Embedded package? There's a note in nuget that says it's deprecated, but the docs just list it as an option along with Raven.Database. [https://ravendb.net/docs/article-page/3.0/csharp/server/installation/embedded]

2/5. Running an In Memory instance still required me to set `store.Configuration.Storage.Voron.AllowOn32Bits = true;`. Does that make sense or is it a bug?

3/5. Is it possible to get to raven studio in azure? I'm getting access denied for opening the http port, but there's confusing information on stack overflow. I wouldn't think Microsoft would/could allow this.

4/5. Is there a version of embedded ready to run in aspnet core? how about raven.client? I tried ravendb.client -pre and that didn't work. Nuget wouldn't resolve the package.

5/5. Feature Request [or maybe this already works]

The original use case for embedded was in a process that probably didn't have http in front of it.
In aspnet core, you can Map some url space and do whatever with it. Could we hand over to raven via middleware?

private static void HandleRavenMap(IApplicationBuilder app)
{
    app.Run(async context =>
    {
        await ???; //hook directly to something in raven embedded that handles web requests
    });
}

public void ConfigureMapping(IApplicationBuilder app)
{
    app.Map("/raven", HandleRavenMap);
}

The result would be you could get to the studio via:

Thoughts?

Michael Yarichuk

Aug 21, 2016, 5:20:27 AM8/21/16
I can answer on some of those:

1. Raven.Embedded is the same as Raven.Database with it's content, so it can be ignored, yes. It is kept around as a kind-of backward compatibility option. (because once there was a difference between them)

2. In it's current state Voron should be run in a 64 bit process (to be more precise, in v3.0 and v3.5), since it relies on having 64bit address space for allocations. Thus this flag makes sense - it was added as a precaution.

4. The 3.5 version has client that can run on .Net Core. The embedded version in 3.5 does not support .Net Core.

Best regards,

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd  cid:image001.png@01CF95E2.8ED1B7D0

Michael Yarichuk l RavenDB Core Team

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

RavenDB paving the way to "Data Made Simple"   http://ravendb.net/

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Aug 21, 2016, 7:47:59 AM8/21/16
to ravendb
1) raven.database is the one you should use. Raven.Embedded is just referencing the database.
2) If you have a large scale test, it can go beyond the address space and fail, and we want to be explicit about that.
3) You need to open the relevant port, but that should work. Just make sure that the user have permission and the firewall is allowing it.
4) Not embedded, no. That is only available in 4.0. The client for 3.5 (remote) works.

5) In 3.x - that should aboslutely be possible. we are using OWIN under the scenes, so that should be possible.

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Kijana Woodard

Aug 22, 2016, 11:51:52 AM8/22/16
to rav...@googlegroups.com
1. Ok. FYI, The Raven.Embedded nuget package does have a readme with some warnings about the version numbers of various dependencies. Are those warnings still applicable?

2. Ok.

3. Yeah, makes sense. Also makes sense that they're not going to allow that on Azure Web Apps.

4. Ok. Not sure what happened with 3.5 client in aspnet core. I created another new core project and this time it worked. The first time I tried to install Embedded first. Maybe that just corrupted something in the VS tooling.

5. Should be interesting if it works. If I get some time, I'll try it in a "core" project that uses the full .net framework.

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Aug 22, 2016, 2:12:23 PM8/22/16
to ravendb
1) Yes.