Upcoming stable release

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Aug 26, 2015, 6:06:33 AM8/26/15
to ravendb
Guys,
We have upgraded our production systems to build 3781 early this week.
We are gearing up to a stable release, please take the time to check it out.

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

Alex Retzlaff

Aug 26, 2015, 6:40:43 AM8/26/15
Congratulations team, this is awesome news!!!

Jens Pettersson

Aug 31, 2015, 3:08:08 AM8/31/15
Thanks! Been waiting for this and going to test it today. Is there a collected list of changes (from previous stable) anywhere?

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Aug 31, 2015, 7:53:13 AM8/31/15
to ravendb
Yes, we'll be publishing this as the release notes.

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Aug 31, 2015, 9:19:30 AM8/31/15
to ravendb

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 10:08 AM, Jens Pettersson <jens.pe...@live.se> wrote:

Jens Pettersson

Sep 1, 2015, 7:48:18 AM9/1/15
We're upgrading from 2.5 to 3.0 (3785) and been testing extensively yesterday and everything looks good except one thing. Our integration tests that uses the EmbeddableDocumentStore are once again slower.

This was an issue earlier (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/ravendb/XzIVizkZnJY) but was fixed (as far as I remember) but now we're seeing it again in our test suite. Not at all as bad as before, but still slower.

Our integration test suite contains 1407 tests and it is between 25 - 30 seconds slower on 3.0. That might not seem like a lot but given the fact that we run our tests ALOT during the day, 25 sec more each run builds up the total time...

Our test suite on 2.5:

Our test suite,  upgraded to 3.0 (3785-stable)

We've been in the process of upgrading from 2.5 for quite some time now, but haven't gotten it into production yet. Last week we received our new enterprise license so now we're beginning to feel that we're ready. This is by no means a show stopper for us, and we will proceed with the upgrade in production, but as our test suite is constantly groving, the time will grow more now for each test than on 2.5, which is unfortunate.

I still have my perfs repo from the other thread: https://github.com/jenspettersson/RavenPerfs. This repo compares initialization, especially multiple times, between 2.5 and 3.0 and initialization only (no indexes) is still quite some time slower on 3.0 (3785) than 2.5

//J

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Sep 1, 2015, 8:31:06 AM9/1/15
to ravendb

Jens Pettersson

Sep 1, 2015, 8:39:24 AM9/1/15
Thanks Ayende!

Just to clarify, a subscription enterprise license for 3.0 will be valid for 3.5 or do we need a new one then?

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Sep 1, 2015, 8:43:56 AM9/1/15
to ravendb
It will be valid, yes.

Chris Marisic

Sep 1, 2015, 11:37:57 AM9/1/15

On Tuesday, September 1, 2015 at 6:48:18 AM UTC-5, Jens Pettersson wrote:

Our integration test suite contains 1407 tests and it is between 25 - 30 seconds slower on 3.0. That might not seem like a lot but given the fact that we run our tests ALOT during the day, 25 sec more each run builds up the total time...

33%~ slower is pretty significant.

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Chris Marisic

Sep 1, 2015, 11:53:53 AM9/1/15
Don't you have a test suite with thousands of tests that should take substantially longer also?

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Sep 2, 2015, 7:13:08 AM9/2/15
to ravendb
We have, none of them starts / stops doc db alone, and we do a whole bunch of other stuff that would impact this.

FWIW, the underlying reason seems to be that Raven.Database is larger, and MEF is scanning it for plugins on every db load.