RavenDB 4 - Traffic watch in studio - query details

Andrej Krivulčík

Feb 19, 2018, 11:25:10 AM2/19/18
The Traffic watch screen in RavenDB 4 studio shows data like the following:

2018-02-19T14:44:51.6763475Z 200 data-prod 999 POST http:///databases/data-prod/multi_get?queryHash=2414950587809657029
2018-02-19T14:44:51.7378774Z 304 data-prod 28 POST http://[REDACTED]/databases/data-prod/queries?queryHash=15116069866252314305
2018-02-19T14:44:53.3521557Z 200 data-prod 1,584 POST http:///databases/data-prod/multi_get?queryHash=14196527827006798278
2018-02-19T14:44:53.4093333Z 304 data-prod 27 POST http://[REDACTED]/databases/data-prod/queries?queryHash=17489301218219351686

This information about the queries has little value:
  • I can't identify what query was run, unless I check the exact timing and correlate with source code or traffic dump from fiddler/wireshark.
  • I can't identify what queries were run in the multi-get queries and what was their duration (individually).
  • No detailed timing information is available.
It is very limited compared to the 3.5 version,.

Am I missing something or is this functionality now reduced?

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Feb 19, 2018, 2:39:38 PM2/19/18
to ravendb
We moved a lot more to POST, and I guess that wasn't noticed.

For now: for multi_get in particular, you should see the internal requests as well there.

For queries, you can also watch the logs, the queries are in the logs, the admin logs gives you:

2018-02-19T19:38:28.7635105Z, 39, Information, Demo, Raven.Server.Documents.Indexes.Persistence.Lucene.IndexReadOperation, Issuing query on index Auto/Companies/ByAddress.CityAndAddress.CountryAndExternalId for: FROM Companies WHERE Address.City = 'London'

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

Andrej Krivulčík

Feb 20, 2018, 2:02:26 AM2/20/18
Great, thanks, Oren.

Ryan Heath

May 25, 2018, 3:04:32 PM5/25/18
to rav...@googlegroups.com
I am debuging an issue with the ravendb nodatime client.

It seems the actual value of a where clause is not passed to the server.
I see the following in the admin log:

Raven.Server.Documents.Indexes.Persistence.Lucene.IndexReadOperation, Issuing query on index Auto/Foos/ByDuration for: FROM Foos WHERE Duration = $p0

I would have expected to see the actual value here, no?

The ravendb nodatime client uses custom value converter, and when debuging I see those converters being hit.

// Ryan

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

May 25, 2018, 3:08:35 PM5/25/18
to ravendb
The value is passed as a parameter, see how this look like in fiddler

Ryan Heath

May 25, 2018, 3:14:51 PM5/25/18
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Fiddler doesn't show anything meaning full, though I see a tunnel is opened, but I cannot see what is transmitted.

// Ryan

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

May 25, 2018, 3:17:06 PM5/25/18
to ravendb
Oh, yeah, use the unsecured mode for this
IIRC we don't log parameter values of queries

Ryan Heath

May 25, 2018, 4:06:13 PM5/25/18
to rav...@googlegroups.com
How can I do unsecured mode with the ravendb testdriver 4.0.3?

// Ryan

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

May 25, 2018, 4:10:10 PM5/25/18
to ravendb
That _is_ the default mode, in fact, you would have to jump through multiple hops to get it.
Which you probably have, because you have a settings.json file already setup there.
Can you try renaming both settings.json and settings.default.json and see how it work?

Ryan Heath

May 25, 2018, 4:29:22 PM5/25/18
to rav...@googlegroups.com
I have renamed the json files, but that did not change the behavior.

I stated earlier that I could see some tunneling in fiddler but that was from an other proces.

The traffic of the tests do not appear in fiddler at all, so it seems.

// Ryan

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

May 25, 2018, 4:49:24 PM5/25/18
to ravendb
That's really strange, it should _not_ be using secured mode in there.

Sigh.
 "--ServerUrl=http://127.0.0.1:0"

It bypasses Fiddler enitrely.

Try it against a real server, then?