RavenDB with More POWER

legion

Apr 29, 2016, 4:57:19 PM4/29/16

In our production environment we currently have Raven DB running on 4 cores and 64 GB or ram.

In planning for next year, we are considering having a master/slave setup to help with balancing load and have some redundancy built in.

During our planning, we started considering scaling up as well specifically on the cores. To a total of at least 8 cores.

However before we make that move, we wanted to see how Raven performs with additional cores.

Is there any documentation or metrics available that can be used as guide to determining if we should renew licenses next year with additional cores?

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Apr 29, 2016, 4:59:48 PM4/29/16
to ravendb
What are you doing with RavenDB? What are the current stats on the server in terms of docs, indexes, # of requests, response times, I/O?

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

legion

May 2, 2016, 12:45:09 PM5/2/16
Documents on all 3 DBs are created/updated by a number of ETL processes running on very frequent schedules. A set of web apps read from the DBs and provide info to users. 99.9% of the web side of the system is all read only.

Server runs on SSDs. Requests per second hover around 2-5 per second on the database itself. We cache a lot on the web app to reduce hits to the DB, but the cache isn't long lived as the data is frequently changing.

I don't have response time metrics, but we do notice that response time slows under heavy indexing. Especially when a large # of documents change in a short period of time.

DB 1: 210,000+ docs. 16 indexes.
Transactional storage used size
1.95 GBytes
Transactional storage allocated size
1.96 GBytes
Index storage size
213.5 MBytes
Total database size
2.17 GBytes

DB 2: 11,378,000+ docs, 3 indexes
Transactional storage used size
68.05 GBytes
Transactional storage allocated size
68.06 GBytes
Index storage size
1.84 GBytes
Total database size
69.89 GBytes

DB 3: 85,895+ docs 2 indexes
Transactional storage used size
5.06 GBytes
Transactional storage allocated size
5.07 GBytes
Index storage size
12.11 MBytes
Total database size
5.08 GBytes

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

May 3, 2016, 4:09:17 AM5/3/16
to ravendb
How many documents are changed at one time by the ETL processes?

2 - 5 req/sec shouldn't even notice high load for indexing.