New Javascript Engine?

Kijana Woodard

Aug 29, 2016, 10:15:30 AM8/29/16
to rav...@googlegroups.com
For v4, is it worth reviewing the default javascript engine?

Also:

I suppose giving users a configuration choice would help with backwards compatibility. Fwiw, I'm suggesting keep jint and adding _one_ more or replacing jint.

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Aug 29, 2016, 10:22:10 AM8/29/16
to ravendb
If we go there, it will probably mean replacing, not supporting both.
This is something that we might do, but there are concerns. In particular, we need to figure out how to send .objects back and forth, how to secure things so you can't do stack overflow / infinite loop, etc.

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

Kijana Woodard

Aug 29, 2016, 10:26:48 AM8/29/16
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Yup. Hence I suggested 4. Didn't think it would be worth the overhead for 3.x.

The benchmarks caught my eye. A much faster engine might make a noticeable difference for, e.g., scripted patches.

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Aug 29, 2016, 11:16:11 AM8/29/16
to ravendb
Yes, that is only going to 4.0.
3.5 is in RC and is frozen. :-)

I'm not sure that the performance cost for patching is with Jint, we need to load and store to disk, which tend to be more expensive.

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Aug 29, 2016, 11:16:50 AM8/29/16
to ravendb