RavenDB 4.0 replacing main server certificate

Sander Rijken

Feb 19, 2018, 2:15:11 PM2/19/18
Is there a guide / documentation / step by step explaining how to replace the main server certificate? It's about the expire, so needs to be replaced.

Does this affect the client certs?

Thanks,
Sander

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Feb 19, 2018, 2:20:12 PM2/19/18
to ravendb
Client certs aren't impacted by this. We explicitly honor them past the due date of the generating cert.
How was your certificate generated?
The short time frame indicates a Let's Encrypt, and that should automatically update.

This isn't exposed in the UI yet, but POST  /admin/certificates/replace-cluster-cert will update the certificate on the server, distribute it across the cluster, and update it across all nodes in tandem.

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

Sander Rijken

Feb 19, 2018, 2:42:39 PM2/19/18

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Feb 19, 2018, 2:44:02 PM2/19/18
to ravendb
Yeah, totally forgot that it was there :-)

Judah Gabriel Himango

Apr 19, 2018, 5:22:50 PM4/19/18
I just got an email from Let's Encrypt saying my server cert is going to expire in 20 days. Should I be concerned that Raven isn't updating the cert? See below for the message I received from Let's Encrypt

Hello,

Your certificate (or certificates) for the names listed below will expire in
20 days (on 09 May 18 21:02 +0000). Please make sure to renew
your certificate before then, or visitors to your website will encounter errors.

a.bitshuvadb.ravendb.community

For any questions or support, please visit https://community.letsencrypt.org/.
Unfortunately, we can't provide support by email.

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Apr 22, 2018, 2:26:02 AM4/22/18
to ravendb
Hi,
When you go into your studio, do you see any warnings about the certificate renewal failing?
Most importantly, did you setup LE on _this_ server? We had a recent case where a customer setup using LE on one server, then brought just the cert to another, which obviously wouldn't work
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ravendb+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Judah Gabriel Himango

Apr 23, 2018, 5:19:19 PM4/23/18
In the Studio, I don't see any warnings about certificate renewal failing, no.

Let's Encrypt: The only thing I've done is with LE is, I went through the Raven setup process and told it to use LE. I did that on this server, yes.

This is a Windows Server virtual machine in Azure, if it matters. (You helped me set up this server with Raven+LE during the Raven workshop in San Francisco.)

-Judah

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Apr 23, 2018, 6:24:54 PM4/23/18
to ravendb
What is the exact build here?

Judah Gabriel Himango

Apr 23, 2018, 6:27:21 PM4/23/18
to rav...@googlegroups.com
4.0.3-patch-40031

FYI, I can give you (or anyone on the team) remote access to the virtual machine to poke around if need be.

-Judah Gabriel Himango

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Apr 23, 2018, 6:49:54 PM4/23/18
to ravendb
Send it to support, Iftah can look at this tomorrow.