HTTP-API could not open database / indexing.crash-marker / used by another process

Victor Yap

Apr 27, 2016, 11:33:01 AM4/27/16
Hello RavenDB Community!

How bad is this kind of problem? I personally categorize the issue as "unpredictable and extremely frustrating" and "what is going on with the RavenDB architecture?!"

Invoke-WebRequest : {
"Error":
"Could not open database named: RavenContentStore"
,"Reason":
"System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. --->
System.IO.IOException:
The process cannot access the file 'C:\\web_project\\DB\\Databases\\RavenContentStore\\Indexes\\indexing.crash-marker' because it is being used by another process.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
[...]

I recycled the "ContentStore" AppPool (RavenDB running as web app) and was able to successfully commit my HTTP-API request by sending it again.

Thanks,

// Victor

Michael Yarichuk

Apr 27, 2016, 12:08:14 PM4/27/16
The first thing that comes to my mind is anti-virus/malware software. This kind of errors usually happen when another process locks the files

Best regards,

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd  cid:image001.png@01CF95E2.8ED1B7D0

Michael Yarichuk l RavenDB Core Team

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

RavenDB paving the way to "Data Made Simple"   http://ravendb.net/

Victor Yap

Apr 28, 2016, 10:23:15 AM4/28/16
Hi Michael,

I doubt it's anti-virus or anti-malware since this instance is a development virtual machine. Shouldn't RavenDB prevent other processes from locking its files?

Instead of an anti-virus, could it be the fault of the IIS / AppPool for putting the RavenDB Web App to "sleep" and causing it to let go of its files? Just a random guess. I'm not yet intimately knowledgeable about the Microsoft server stack and its bag of tricks.

This kind of behaviour is totally not normal for me in DBMS "features", so, it's basically red alert alarms going off. I'm not particularly keen on drilling down into all the quirks of the Microsoft IIS, Web App, App Pool stack, so, I'd like to rely on your support to know those things inside and out.

Thanks,
// Victor

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Apr 28, 2016, 11:40:44 AM4/28/16
to ravendb
Are you running this with overlapped true?

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Victor Yap

Apr 29, 2016, 9:37:06 AM4/29/16
"overlapped true" - never heard of this.

What does it mean? How would I find out?

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Apr 29, 2016, 9:42:41 AM4/29/16
to ravendb
iis overlapped recycling

Victor Yap

Apr 29, 2016, 11:06:33 AM4/29/16
Here is what I see in IIS' "Advanced Settings" for the App Pool.
  • Recycling
    • Disable Overlapped Recycling = True
Is this a good configuration, or a bad one?

Thanks,

// Victor

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Apr 29, 2016, 1:08:18 PM4/29/16