IIS Installation - Upgrade through installer removes application pool and website

Kristof De Loof

Sep 27, 2016, 8:39:48 AM9/27/16
When a server installation in IIS is upgraded, this seems to delete both the Application Pool and the website.
RavenDB was installed with the default values of the installer. While updating we chose 'choose an existing one'.
This happened both on a development PC as on a production server.

Does anybody recognize this behavior?

Kind regards,
Kristof De Loof

ar...@ayende.com

Sep 28, 2016, 2:46:39 AM9/28/16
Hi Kristof,

the upgrade is simply uninstall and install, that's why components like website or app pool, created during the first installation, are removed. However, all of the values provided on the first installation (web site name, port etc) are populated during the upgrade, so you can just proceed by 'Next, Next... OK' if you don't want to change anything. If you need to setup anything differently during the upgrade, then you are allowed to change the configuration by the installer and that will affect the upgraded version.

Regards,
Arek

Kristof De Loof

Sep 28, 2016, 3:41:06 AM9/28/16
Hi Arek,

Next, next... OK is exactly what I did as there were no custom settings made. The install of the new version ended without errors, but when looking in IIS the site was gone.

So just to be sure, these are the steps we did:
- Start the installer of version RavenDB-Build-30155.Setup.exe, run it with no modification to suggested settings
- Start the installer of version RavenDB-Hotfix-Build-30156.Setup.exe, run it with no modification to suggested settings
=> Website is gone

This also happened when we upgraded from 30000 to 30150.

Kind regards,
Kristof

ar...@ayende.com

Sep 28, 2016, 3:49:40 AM9/28/16
Just to be sure: did you choose 'Create a new one' or 'Use an existing one' on web site configuration view in the installer? Even if you upgrade you should choose 'Create new' option

Kristof De Loof

Sep 28, 2016, 3:52:13 AM9/28/16
to rav...@googlegroups.com
I'll try to select "Create a new one"
What does the option "Using an existing one" do?

ar...@ayende.com

Sep 28, 2016, 4:00:52 AM9/28/16
"Create a new one" is selected by default, that' why I said that upgrade's flow should be 'next, next' without the need to change any options.

"Use an existing one" is to choose a web site which exists on IIS and was created manually, not by using the installer. Then RavenDB uninstall / upgrade won't touch it.