How does one develop against SQL ETL in RavenDB 4?

Michael Third

Dec 6, 2017, 3:26:13 PM12/6/17
My company has been using RavenDB since 1.0 and are looking forward to RavenDB 4.  One of the challenges I've run into is that I cannot develop SQL ETL on my local machine using the Community license.

In prior versions, we could just run a development install and get full functionality.  How will this work moving forward?

Thanks,

Michael

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Dec 6, 2017, 3:43:35 PM12/6/17
to ravendb
That is a good question, and I would like to have some feedback on that from the community at large.

In general, the expectation is that you can carve a single core from a license you have if you need to do such things on a regular basis on a separate server.

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

Andrew Davey

Dec 7, 2017, 6:39:32 AM12/7/17
I'm also looking forward to v4, but hadn't noticed that limitation either. SQL replication is a key part of my application. Not being able to develop locally or run a test environment would be a real problem for me.

I'm very happy to buy licenses for production of course. What's the thinking behind limiting dev environments?

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Dec 7, 2017, 6:58:31 AM12/7/17
to ravendb
Andrew,
The thinking is that these aren't dev environment, these are full blown instances that you can use for production

Michael Third

Dec 7, 2017, 3:18:06 PM12/7/17
We have 5 developers and we run the full stack on each development environment, so carving out a license won't work for us.  Absent a reasonable developer story, we'd probably look to another solution for handling these integrations scenarios which would make RavenDB a little less sticky.

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Dec 8, 2017, 3:54:57 AM12/8/17
to ravendb
Michael (and everyone else),
We tiered the licensing toward the most common usage patterns, with the professional and enterprise editions having features that are usually used in larger organizations.
I think we'll need to also introduce a developer edition, which will handle this development scenario.
As you can imagine, this is made somewhat complicate by the fact that we want to avoid people using the developer edition for production, so that require some thinking.
I would really appreciate any feedback you have on the matter
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ravendb+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Bruno Lopes

Dec 8, 2017, 7:34:12 AM12/8/17
Adding another data point: we also use SQL ETL in 3.5, and have some automated tests on CI agents running to check that it's working properly, since entities changing might cause it to break.

Would a batch limit work as a limitation? On dev it wouldn't be much of an issue, but limiting throughput on prod might not be acceptable.

Michael Third

Dec 8, 2017, 11:46:44 AM12/8/17
Perhaps only allow it to run for a short time or record count, then require manual intervention?

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Dec 10, 2017, 8:07:05 AM12/10/17
to ravendb
We'll have a developer edition that will allow full access to the feature set, specifically for these scenarios.
I don't like adding spokes in wheels for people, so we won't be adding stuff that will annoy you like these limits.

But these will not be production licenses.

Michael Third

Dec 27, 2017, 4:51:16 PM12/27/17
Thanks, Oren!

Morten Kristensen

Feb 8, 2018, 9:59:12 AM2/8/18
Any update on developer licenses (allowing ETL etc.)?

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Feb 8, 2018, 10:04:59 AM2/8/18
to ravendb
Should be available this week or early next.

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Feb 8, 2018, 10:07:55 AM2/8/18
to ravendb
In the meantime, we sent it to you directly

Morten Kristensen

Feb 8, 2018, 10:30:47 AM2/8/18
Thanks! :D