Production RavenDB 3690 not starting after upgrade

Morten Brix Pedersen

Jun 24, 2015, 8:48:29 AM6/24/15
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Last night we wanted to upgrade our production RavenDB from 3.0.3660 to 3.0.3690. Unfortunately, even though RavenDB service started, it did not respond to any requests. And this appeared in the event log:

"Startup for RavenDB service seems to be taking longer than usual, moving initialization to a background thread"

We waited a while (15 minutes), but the process seemed to idle. We tried adding debug logging, but nothing of interest showed up.

So we downgraded to 3660 again, and the database server started immediately and without problems.

We had previously done this on our development/test server, without problems.

Today we tried taking our database backup from production and spin up a 3690 build locally. This worked flawlessly, so we are very much in the blind on how to debug our production issue? Any hints?

 - Morten.

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Jun 25, 2015, 5:20:53 AM6/25/15
to ravendb

Can you enable the debug log.? Or run in console mode?

Morten Brix Pedersen

Jun 25, 2015, 6:33:46 AM6/25/15
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ayende,

We enabled debug logging, and you can find the output here: https://gist.github.com/mbp/9a2cad84d552fc009f81

We can try running it in console mode the next time we will plan a maintenance window for our systems, but since it is production, I cannot do it right now.

 - Morten.

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Jun 25, 2015, 6:36:42 AM6/25/15
to ravendb
This is on the new version that didn't start?

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

Morten Brix Pedersen

Jun 25, 2015, 6:39:24 AM6/25/15
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Yes. It seemed to only load the system database but not the others.

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Jun 25, 2015, 6:40:10 AM6/25/15
to ravendb
Did you _access_ any of the other databases?
If they aren't access, they aren't loaded.

Morten Brix Pedersen

Jun 25, 2015, 6:47:07 AM6/25/15
to rav...@googlegroups.com
The web interface never started responding. So I could not send requests to any of the databases.

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Jun 25, 2015, 6:57:20 AM6/25/15
to ravendb
Okay, so that is something else.
Do you have a local.config there?

Morten Brix Pedersen

Jun 25, 2015, 8:41:27 AM6/25/15
to rav...@googlegroups.com
We have "Raven.Server.exe.config" with the following content:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
  <appSettings>
    <add key="Raven/Port" value="8080"/>
    <add key="Raven/DataDir" value="~\Database\System"/>
    <add key="Raven/AnonymousAccess" value="Admin"/>
    <add key="Raven/Licensing/AllowAdminAnonymousAccessForCommercialUse" value="true"/>
  <add key="Raven/LicensePath" value="XXXX.xml"/></appSettings>
<runtime>
<loadFromRemoteSources enabled="true"/>
<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
<probing privatePath="Analyzers;Plugins"/>
</assemblyBinding>
</runtime>
</configuration>

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Jun 28, 2015, 1:47:14 AM6/28/15
to ravendb
Try copying the db, then running it with the 3690 in console mode.