RavenHQ pricing improvements

Idsa

Oct 21, 2014, 9:04:37 PM10/21/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
I see several cases which current RavenHQ pricing model is not optimised for.

1. Micro plan's performance is enough for me. But I need replication. Would be nice to switch replication on without switching to Starter to save some money
2. I need high performance. But I don't need replication (the nature of my application is so that I don't care about my VM being restarted from time to time). Would be nice to be able to switch replication off to save some money.
3. I have 10 simple low-loaded web sites. The performance of Micro would be enough for all of them. Creating Micro for each of them is too expensive. Would be great to put several databases to specific pricing plan (keeping the same performance limits).

Do you find it reasonable?

Fitzchak Yitzchaki

Oct 22, 2014, 2:19:00 AM10/22/14
to <ravendb@googlegroups.com>
This should be directed to the RavenHQ support channel, sup...@ravenhq.com

Best Regards,

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd  cid:image001.png@01CF95E2.8ED1B7D0

Fitzchak Yitzchaki l Senior Software Engineer Mobile:+972-58-345-9538

Alexander Sidorov

Oct 23, 2014, 4:21:57 AM10/23/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately I never succeeded getting any feedback from their support.

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Oct 23, 2014, 5:29:02 AM10/23/14
to ravendb
I pinged the team directly, they'll respond shortly

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Jonathan Matheus

Oct 26, 2014, 8:46:46 PM10/26/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,
Thanks for the feedback. I've put some notes on each of your pricing suggestions inline:

1. Micro plan's performance is enough for me. But I need replication. Would be nice to switch replication on without switching to Starter to save some money

We considered doing this, but removed it to have a simpler upgrade model. We'll reconsider including this in the near future.

2. I need high performance. But I don't need replication (the nature of my application is so that I don't care about my VM being restarted from time to time). Would be nice to be able to switch replication off to save some money.

We originally had an upgrade path without replication, but it was a pretty severe support burden. In our experience, users who say they don't need high availability are the ones who have the highest urgency tickets during outages. In many cases, it was either because they didn't understand what replication offers or they didn't realize they needed high availability until there was an outage. In most cases, a majority of them immediately upgraded to replicated plans and told us that they wished replication was "just on by default".

Support is a major cost factor when determining pricing & not having high availability increases our costs. With this in mind & given that you want to save money, would you still want this type of plan if we lowered our support SLAs for non-replicated databases?

3. I have 10 simple low-loaded web sites. The performance of Micro would be enough for all of them. Creating Micro for each of them is too expensive. Would be great to put several databases to specific pricing plan (keeping the same performance limits).

We've done a ton over the past few months to support this, including giving every database its own DNS and getting better at isolating CPU usage for databases running on the same server. We still have a bit more to do & some migration to perform. However, we do plan to support this in the near future.

You mentioned that you contacted support without response. I apologize for that. However, I couldn't find an issue associated with your email. Please forward this email to sup...@ravenhq.com or create a new post in the "New Feature Requests" section in our knowledge base at https://ravenhq.zendesk.com/forums/20761111-New-Feature-Requests and we can have a quicker conversation about this topic.

I apologize again that your questions were not answered promptly.

Thanks,
Jonathan Matheus

Alexander Sidorov

Oct 26, 2014, 9:08:48 PM10/26/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your response! I'm glad about the feeback you provided and find your points extremely fair. I will add some comments below.

1 and 3. My case is actually #1 and #3 combined. I have a set of low-loaded web sites that I'd like to put into one Micro server with replication enabled. Would be happy to move my databases to RavenHQ when/if you implement those features
2. I find it reasonable to have replication enabled by default (may be even for Micro plan) but provide a cheaper option without replication with a warning telling about the risks of having no replication.

Regards,
Alex

Chris Marisic

Oct 27, 2014, 12:24:49 PM10/27/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
I like the replication by default model. You could still easily sell "basic" service that does not include replication, loosened SLA/support times. RavenDB itself has the proverbial "basic" subscription.