Any more news on RavenHQ having an Azure hosting option?

Justin A

Apr 18, 2013, 1:57:57 AM4/18/13
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

anyone have news on this? Can RavenDb support this ... it's just that the RavenHQ people haven't done this yet? If so, I'll try hassling them.

If they can't do it because RavenDb isn't ready yet, can we have some intel about what's needed and what's required, etc?

-little me-

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Apr 18, 2013, 1:59:14 AM4/18/13
to ravendb
RavenDB can support this, and this is something actively being worked on. For further information, it is best to ask them.

georgiosd

Apr 19, 2013, 3:32:16 AM4/19/13
to rav...@googlegroups.com
"Them"? RavenHQ != Hibernating Rhinos?

Kijana Woodard

Apr 19, 2013, 8:42:33 AM4/19/13
to rav...@googlegroups.com

Not exactly no. RavenHQ is its own org. Obviously they have a special relationship.

Will Merydith

Apr 22, 2014, 9:19:28 PM4/22/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
I am the PM for the Azure Store.  RavenDB support could be available as soon as 4 weeks.

Justin A

Apr 22, 2014, 11:52:59 PM4/22/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com

thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou-thankyou

Tom Allard

Apr 23, 2014, 9:32:09 AM4/23/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
+1

[...]

Ryan Heath

Apr 23, 2014, 10:09:04 AM4/23/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Justin! You always crack me up, dude! :D

// Ryan

[...]

Alan Ciantar

Apr 23, 2014, 10:21:51 AM4/23/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Same <3

Chris Marisic

Apr 23, 2014, 11:27:08 AM4/23/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Did you actually overcome the bad random io performance of azure?

Rail Sabirov

Apr 23, 2014, 12:39:31 PM4/23/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Hi Will!

It would be great - RavenDB in Azure!

But what about pricing?
http://ravenhq.com/ pricing is too expensive! Very expensive!

Kijana Woodard

Apr 23, 2014, 2:36:51 PM4/23/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
If it would be cheaper to spin up and manage your own infrastructure in AWS, why wouldn't you do that?

My guess is that it won't be anywhere near the price, taking into account TCO.

Justin A

Apr 23, 2014, 9:27:10 PM4/23/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
>>If it would be cheaper to spin up and manage your own infrastructure in AWS, why wouldn't you do that?

Because .. you have other stuff already on the Azure infrastructure? So it's to reduce roundtrip lag.

Kijana Woodard

Apr 23, 2014, 9:59:13 PM4/23/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Addressing the price, not the location.

Equiv:
If it would be cheaper to spin up and manage your own infrastructure in Azure, why wouldn't you do that?

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 8:27 PM, Justin A <jus...@adler.com.au> wrote:
>>If it would be cheaper to spin up and manage your own infrastructure in AWS, why wouldn't you do that?

Because .. you have other stuff already on the Azure infrastructure? So it's to reduce roundtrip lag.

Phillip Haydon

Apr 24, 2014, 2:44:37 AM4/24/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Hmmmm I wonder if I can transfer my license to Azure or will I have to purchase a new license :(

Justin King

Jun 10, 2014, 2:38:42 AM6/10/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Assuming 4 weeks was a little inaccurate? Any update.

JK

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Jun 12, 2014, 7:21:10 AM6/12/14
to ravendb

Felipe Leusin

Jul 29, 2014, 6:18:46 PM7/29/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
It just became available on Azure Store. Going to test it out.

Mircea Chirea

Jul 30, 2014, 6:14:32 AM7/30/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Only in US East and is quite expensive, as well as having hard space limits for all plans.

Felipe Leusin

Jul 30, 2014, 10:53:59 AM7/30/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
The US East part is a bummer but I assume they will work to get other regions working. Regarding the price, after crunching some numbers I think it's a good option for me. Say you're paying for two standard licenses + azure medium vm it gets easily into the hundreds of dollars, with RavenHQ I get pretty the same features on the professional plan for much less, that being said as a project grows, having dedicated Raven infrastructure seems like a no brainer. The hard cap and the database size policies seem very small and expensive but this might be one of those cases of value perception versus actual value.

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Jul 30, 2014, 10:57:12 AM7/30/14
to ravendb
A small note on the hard cap issue.
Those are only relevant if you purchase from the Azure store directly.
You can purchase RavenHQ instance with the RavenHQ management portal, run it in Azure, and NOT have a hard cap.
The reason for the hard limits is that Azure store currently doesn't provide a good way to do pro rated billing.

Mircea Chirea

Jul 30, 2014, 10:58:37 AM7/30/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Yes, which is a bummer, as you have to jump to bigger plans is you only need more storage.

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Jul 30, 2014, 11:04:41 AM7/30/14
to ravendb
Or you can go through the RavenHQ site and not jump to the bigger plan

Bishbulb

Jul 30, 2014, 11:11:04 AM7/30/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Dan from RavenHQ here. As Oren just mentioned, our plans do support the use-case of having a large amount of storage without needing really high indexing & request performance, but we are only able to provide this through www.ravenhq.com (not the Azure Marketplace). We have tried to clarify this in our Azure marketing material, but it sounds like the message isn't getting through. We're open to feedback on how we can make our plan structure more clear, so let us know your thoughts!

Mircea Chirea

Jul 30, 2014, 1:17:50 PM7/30/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Right, I understood that. It's a bummer it can't be done through the Azure Marketplace, that's my point.

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Jul 30, 2014, 1:54:07 PM7/30/14
to ravendb
I think that the Azure guys are working on that, but it will have to wait for them.

Oren Eini

CEO

Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office:  + 972-4-622-7811