In-place upgrade failure (1.0 --> 3.5)

Johan

Aug 18, 2016, 4:59:49 PM8/18/16

We still have an 1.0 database running that we would like to upgrade to 3.0 or 3.5.
We tried an in-place upgrade, but that fails (we can in-place upgrade to 2.5, but not to 3.0 and 3.5).

The upgrade starts with: Updating schema from version 3.6:
However when it reaches "Updating schema from version 4.8" it runs into a failure.

DB Data: Processed -1 rows in scheduled_reductions, and done with this table
Could not read db details from disk. It is likely that there is a version difference between the library and the db on the disk.
You need to migrate the disk version to the library version, alternatively, if the data isn't important, you can delete the file and it will be re-created (with no data) with the library version.
A critical error occurred while starting the server. Please see the exception details bellow for more details:
System.InvalidOperationException: Could not open transactional storage: C:\xxx\Server\Data\Data ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Could not read db details from disk. It is likely that there is a version difference between the library and the db on the disk.

I know there are recommendations for using export and import for such a big step in versions, but we are using both the versioning and replication bundles and need to keep full history and like to have replication from its last known replication etag.

To make matters more complicated the replication slave has additional documents compared to the master, which means we cannot just remove the slave and let replication re-create it as that would result in data loss.

Is this type of upgrade still expected to work?
What alternative migration strategy can we use that keeps version history and works with our replication scenario.

-Johan

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Aug 21, 2016, 7:23:21 AM8/21/16
to ravendb
Would you be able to send the db in question to our support ?

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

Johan

Aug 23, 2016, 2:22:17 PM8/23/16
I created a small database that reproduces the problem and sent it to your support.