Behavior of deleted documents and replication conflict resolvers?

Dan Bishop

Jan 28, 2016, 3:04:07 PM1/28/16
RavenDB build 3.0.30037

I think we have encountered a bug in the way that the replication conflict resolver deals with deleted documents. Here is the scenario:
- Server A replicates to Server B (one-way replication)
- Both servers are setup with "Resolve to Latest" conflict resolution

Sequence of events
1) Document Test/1 is written to Server A
2) Server A replicates Test/1 to Server B
3) Document Test/1 is deleted from Server B (yes, I know that this shouldn't happen since the replication topology is master-slave, but it did happen due to a configuration error)
4) Document Test/1 is updated on Server A
5) Server A tried to replicate Test/1 to Server B
6) Server B determines that Test/1 is in a conflict situation, and it resolves the conflict by picking the "Raven-Delete-Marker" document as the winner

It seems wrong that in step (6) Server B chose the "Raven-Delete-Marker" document as the winner, since we have "Resolve to Latest" conflict resolution and the incoming Test/1 document from Server A is more current than the "Raven-Delete-Marker" document.

If the outcome of the above situation isn't a bug, why not?

Thanks,
Dan

Tal Weiss

Jan 31, 2016, 9:13:12 AM1/31/16
i'm looking at this

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd  cid:image001.png@01CF95E2.8ED1B7D0

Tal Weiss l Core Team Developer Mobile:+972-54-802-4849

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811l Skype: talweiss1982

RavenDB paving the way to "Data Made Simplehttp://ravendb.net/

Dan Bishop

Feb 1, 2016, 2:51:51 PM2/1/16
Thanks for looking at this. Were you able to make a determination on whether the behavior I described is a bug?

Tal Weiss

Feb 3, 2016, 1:45:35 AM2/3/16
Hi Dan,
I'm currently held up by another issue i'm working on i thought i'll be done with it and then have a look at this issue.
If i won't be able to look at this issue today i'll talk to somebody else in the team to check this out.

Dan Bishop

Feb 4, 2016, 9:29:23 AM2/4/16
Hi Tal - thanks for the update. Would it make more sense for me to submit an issue for this? I'm pretty sure its a bug, but didn't want to jump too quickly to a conclusion.

Dan

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Feb 4, 2016, 9:30:09 AM2/4/16
to ravendb
Please do

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

Dan Bishop

Feb 4, 2016, 9:36:36 AM2/4/16