RavenDb initializes with corrupted databases

Daniel Pilon

Aug 31, 2015, 10:21:29 AM8/31/15

I'm experiencing some problems with a database. When I try to store a document, I receive an error,

Microsoft.Isam.Esent.Interop.EsentBadParentPageLinkException: Database corrupted
   at Microsoft.Isam.Esent.Interop.Api.Check(Int32 err)
   at Microsoft.Isam.Esent.Interop.Api.TrySeek(JET_SESID sesid, JET_TABLEID tableid, SeekGrbit grbit)
   at Raven.Storage.Esent.StorageActions.DocumentStorageActions.Read(String name, String key)
   at Raven.Bundles.Replication.Triggers.AncestryPutTrigger.<>c__DisplayClass4.<GetDocumentMetadata>b__3(IStorageActionsAccessor accessor)
   at Raven.Storage.Esent.TransactionalStorage.Batch(Action`1 action)
   at Raven.Bundles.Replication.Triggers.AncestryPutTrigger.GetDocumentMetadata(String key)
   at Raven.Bundles.Replication.Triggers.AncestryPutTrigger.OnPut(String key, RavenJObject document, RavenJObject metadata, TransactionInformation transactionInformation)
   at Raven.Database.DocumentDatabase.<>c__DisplayClass47.<Put>b__40(AbstractPutTrigger trigger)
   at Raven.Abstractions.MEF.OrderedPartCollection`1.Apply(Action`1 action)
   at Raven.Database.DocumentDatabase.<>c__DisplayClass47.<Put>b__3f(IStorageActionsAccessor actions)
   at Raven.Storage.Esent.TransactionalStorage.Batch(Action`1 action)
   at Raven.Database.DocumentDatabase.Put(String key, Etag etag, RavenJObject document, RavenJObject metadata, TransactionInformation transactionInformation)
   at Raven.Database.Extensions.CommandExtensions.Execute(ICommandData self, DocumentDatabase database, BatchResult batchResult)
   at Raven.Database.Extensions.CommandExtensions.ExecuteBatch(ICommandData self, DocumentDatabase database)
   at Raven.Database.DocumentDatabase.ProcessBatch(IList`1 commands)
   at Raven.Database.DocumentDatabase.<>c__DisplayClass111.<Batch>b__10d(IStorageActionsAccessor actions)
   at Raven.Storage.Esent.TransactionalStorage.ExecuteBatch(Action`1 action, EsentTransactionContext transactionContext)
   at Raven.Storage.Esent.TransactionalStorage.Batch(Action`1 action)
   at Raven.Database.DocumentDatabase.Batch(IList`1 commands)
   at Raven.Database.Server.Responders.DocumentBatch.Batch(IHttpContext context)
   at Raven.Database.Server.Responders.DocumentBatch.Respond(IHttpContext context)
   at Raven.Database.Server.HttpServer.DispatchRequest(IHttpContext ctx)
   at Raven.Database.Server.HttpServer.HandleActualRequest(IHttpContext ctx)

Is it possible for a database to initialize even with a corrupted file?

Because everything starts fine, I write some indexes and just when I try to perform a store this error occurs.

Thanks.

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Sep 1, 2015, 8:36:53 AM9/1/15
to ravendb
How did you get to this state?
You might try those: How to recover from esent errors.

esentutl
/RVN /l logs /s system
esentutl /d Data

For hard cases (potential data loss!)

esentul /p Data
esentutl /d Data

Try each command to see if it fixes things for you.

Did you have a HD corruption issue?

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

Daniel Pilon

Sep 1, 2015, 10:16:35 AM9/1/15
I can't say what's happening with the hard drive, since it happened on one of my deploys and it's kind of hard to reach this information.

We have a way of recovering data, expecting that the creation of indexes would reveal corrupted databases, but the writing of the indexes went fine.

Chris Marisic

Sep 1, 2015, 11:46:48 AM9/1/15
My first thought is you have a failing hard disk. I'd strongly recommend running disk analysis tools or just flat out EOL the disk / server entirely.