Database naming restrictions?

Matthias De Ridder

Jul 28, 2014, 4:32:10 AM7/28/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Our clients are identified by a three digit code. When creating a database we used the convention to name the database "name.code", for instance: tarfac.029. One of our clients is identified by 000. When we create a database tarfac.000, we get 503 service unavailable exceptions. Other databases run fine on that server, only the tarfac.000 does not. Is there a restriction on .000 being used in the database name?

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Jul 28, 2014, 5:14:56 AM7/28/14
to ravendb
No, what is the actual error you have?

Inline image 1

Oren Eini

CEO

Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office:  + 972-4-622-7811

Fax:      + 972-153-4622-7811

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 11:32 AM, Matthias De Ridder <orcr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Our clients are identified by a three digit code. When creating a database we used the convention to name the database "name.code", for instance: tarfac.029. One of our clients is identified by 000. When we create a database tarfac.000, we get 503 service unavailable exceptions. Other databases run fine on that server, only the tarfac.000 does not. Is there a restriction on .000 being used in the database name?

Matthias De Ridder

Jul 28, 2014, 6:37:52 AM7/28/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
We're running build 2851. We've created other databases on the same server and they are working fine. I've included the error below.

503 Service Unavailable

Server Error:
Could not open database named: Tarfac.000

   at Raven.Studio.Infrastructure.InvocationExtensions.Catch(Task parent, Func`2 func)
   at Raven.Studio.Infrastructure.InvocationExtensions.Catch(Task parent, Action`1 action)
   at Raven.Studio.Infrastructure.InvocationExtensions.Catch(Task parent)
   at Raven.Studio.Models.ServerModel.DisplayLicenseStatus()
   at Raven.Studio.Models.ServerModel.Initialize()
   at Raven.Studio.Models.ServerModel..ctor(String url)
   at Raven.Studio.Models.ServerModel..ctor()
   at Raven.Studio.Models.ApplicationModel..ctor()
   at Raven.Studio.Models.ApplicationModel..cctor()
   at Raven.Studio.Models.DatabaseSelectionModel..ctor()
   at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
   at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache)
   at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
   at MS.Internal.XamlManagedRuntimeRPInvokes.CreateInstance(XamlTypeToken inXamlType, XamlQualifiedObject& newObject)
   at MS.Internal.XcpImports.Application_LoadComponentNative(IntPtr pContext, IntPtr pComponent, UInt32 cUriStringLength, String uriString, UInt32 cXamlStrLength, Byte* pXamlStr, UInt32 cAssemblyStrLength, String assemblyStr)
   at MS.Internal.XcpImports.Application_LoadComponent(IManagedPeerBase componentAsDO, String resourceLocator, UnmanagedMemoryStream stream, UInt32 numBytesToRead, String assemblyString)
   at System.Windows.Application.LoadComponent(Object component, Uri resourceLocator)
   at Raven.Studio.Features.Databases.DatabaseSelectionView.InitializeComponent()
   at Raven.Studio.Features.Databases.DatabaseSelectionView..ctor()
[...]
   at Raven.Studio.MainPage.InitializeComponent()
   at Raven.Studio.App.Application_Startup(Object sender, StartupEventArgs e)
   at MS.Internal.CoreInvokeHandler.InvokeEventHandler(UInt32 typeIndex, Delegate handlerDelegate, Object sender, Object args)
   at MS.Internal.JoltHelper.FireEvent(IntPtr unmanagedObj, IntPtr unmanagedObjArgs, Int32 argsTypeIndex, Int32 actualArgsTypeIndex, String eventName, UInt32 flags)

Client side exception:
System.Net.WebException: [HttpWebRequest_WebException_RemoteServer]
Arguments: NotFound
Debugging resource strings are unavailable. Often the key and arguments provide sufficient information to diagnose the problem. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=106663&Version=5.1.30214.0&File=System.Windows.dll&Key=HttpWebRequest_WebException_RemoteServer
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccess(Task task)
   at Raven.Client.Silverlight.Connection.HttpJsonRequest.<ReadResponseJsonAsync>d__2.MoveNext()

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Jul 28, 2014, 7:02:36 AM7/28/14
to ravendb
Access the database directly in the browser, what is the error shown there?

Matthias De Ridder

Jul 28, 2014, 7:06:38 AM7/28/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
It seems the file is locked or in use by an other process on the server.

{"Error":"Could not open database named: Tarfac.000","Reason":"System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Could not write to location: D:\\InfohosServices\\Prod\\Financieel\\Tarfac\\Databases\\Tarfac.000. Make sure you have read/write permissions for this path. ---> Microsoft.Isam.Esent.Interop.EsentFileAccessDeniedException: Cannot access file, the file is locked or in use\r\n   at Raven.Storage.Esent.TransactionalStorage.Initialize(IUuidGenerator uuidGenerator, OrderedPartCollection`1 documentCodecs) in c:\\Builds\\RavenDB-Stable\\Raven.Database\\Storage\\Esent\\TransactionalStorage.cs:line 402\r\n   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---\r\n   at Raven.Storage.Esent.TransactionalStorage.Initialize(IUuidGenerator uuidGenerator, OrderedPartCollection`1 documentCodecs) in c:\\Builds\\RavenDB-Stable\\Raven.Database\\Storage\\Esent\\TransactionalStorage.cs:line 418\r\n   at Raven.Database.DocumentDatabase..ctor(InMemoryRavenConfiguration configuration, TransportState transportState) in c:\\Builds\\RavenDB-Stable\\Raven.Database\\DocumentDatabase.cs:line 255\r\n   at Raven.Database.Server.HttpServer.<>c__DisplayClass4a.<TryGetOrCreateResourceStore>b__47() in c:\\Builds\\RavenDB-Stable\\Raven.Database\\Server\\HttpServer.cs:line 1087\r\n   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()\r\n   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()\r\n   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---\r\n   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)\r\n   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(TimeSpan timeout)\r\n   at Raven.Database.Server.HttpServer.SetupRequestToProperDatabase(IHttpContext ctx) in c:\\Builds\\RavenDB-Stable\\Raven.Database\\Server\\HttpServer.cs:line 958\r\n---> (Inner Exception #0) System.InvalidOperationException: Could not write to location: D:\\InfohosServices\\Prod\\Financieel\\Tarfac\\Databases\\Tarfac.000. Make sure you have read/write permissions for this path. ---> Microsoft.Isam.Esent.Interop.EsentFileAccessDeniedException: Cannot access file, the file is locked or in use\r\n   at Raven.Storage.Esent.TransactionalStorage.Initialize(IUuidGenerator uuidGenerator, OrderedPartCollection`1 documentCodecs) in c:\\Builds\\RavenDB-Stable\\Raven.Database\\Storage\\Esent\\TransactionalStorage.cs:line 402\r\n   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---\r\n   at Raven.Storage.Esent.TransactionalStorage.Initialize(IUuidGenerator uuidGenerator, OrderedPartCollection`1 documentCodecs) in c:\\Builds\\RavenDB-Stable\\Raven.Database\\Storage\\Esent\\TransactionalStorage.cs:line 418\r\n   at Raven.Database.DocumentDatabase..ctor(InMemoryRavenConfiguration configuration, TransportState transportState) in c:\\Builds\\RavenDB-Stable\\Raven.Database\\DocumentDatabase.cs:line 255\r\n   at Raven.Database.Server.HttpServer.<>c__DisplayClass4a.<TryGetOrCreateResourceStore>b__47() in c:\\Builds\\RavenDB-Stable\\Raven.Database\\Server\\HttpServer.cs:line 1087\r\n   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()\r\n   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()<---\r\n"}

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Jul 28, 2014, 8:03:11 AM7/28/14
to ravendb
Yes, that is indeed what it appears to be.