side by side transform ?

rabidlemming

Jan 11, 2017, 4:23:11 AM1/11/17

If i have a locked transform that i want to update or replace it via the documentStore (c# code) do i need to unlock it via code first or is there a similar function to the side by side index method; or will it still get updated even if it is locked ?

thanks

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Jan 11, 2017, 5:06:17 AM1/11/17
to ravendb
You need to unlock, modify and then lock.
Side by side is required for indexes because they can take a long time to become viable, not so for transformers.

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

rabidlemming

Jan 11, 2017, 6:00:38 AM1/11/17
cool, can i unlock the transform via code (if so how ?)  or dose it have to be though the web interface ?

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

rabidlemming

Jan 11, 2017, 8:04:33 AM1/11/17
sweet thank you exactly what i was looking for :)

rabidlemming

Jan 11, 2017, 8:15:04 AM1/11/17

sorry how do i re lock it afterwards, im trying to script it like so

// unlock transform
_store.AsyncDatabaseCommands.SetTransformerLockAsync("ListingsForSearch_Transform",
    TransformerLockMode.Unlock);
// update transform with new version
new ListingsForSearch_Transfrom().Execute(_store);
// relock transform
_store.AsyncDatabaseCommands.SetTransformerLockAsync("ListingsForSearch_Transform",
    TransformerLockMode.LockedIgnore);

but its not re locked when i check in the web interface ?

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

rabidlemming

Jan 11, 2017, 10:11:54 AM1/11/17
Yes ...!? ...yes it should work , coz its not re locking the transform when i call

_store.AsyncDatabaseCommands.SetTransformerLockAsync("ListingsForSearch_Transform", TransformerLockMode.LockedIgnore);

the transform remains unlocked or sometimes i end up with a second transform with the same name ?

thanks
Yes

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Jan 11, 2017, 10:26:54 AM1/11/17
to ravendb
Did you wait for the operation to complete?

Message has been deleted

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Jan 12, 2017, 4:52:05 AM1/12/17
to ravendb
Can you send the Fiddler output here?
In particular, add a call to GetTransfomers() before and after and send the SAZ file

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 11:20 AM, rabidlemming <lemm...@hotmail.com> wrote:
yep waited a few mins , to help demonstrate the issue i was able to record it :) if you watch the attached you can see whats happening (if video is black try replaying it as sometimes its black on first play, not sure why think its a weird codex thing)
Message has been deleted

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Jan 12, 2017, 5:54:05 AM1/12/17
to ravendb
Okay, the fiddler is over https, so we don't see antying.
Can you manually check the transfomers endpoint? I suspect that this is a studio issue, actually.

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 12:32 PM, rabidlemming <lemm...@hotmail.com> wrote:
attached is the fiddler requests. Iv password protected them as they contain oauth data ill message u privately with the password ( i assume you have 7zip if not i can do winzip)

also note that in the attached screen shot my old transforms are appearing after a period of time, similar to the listing that wouldn't stay dead, now its happening with my transforms. I haven't added these transforms they seem to just appear on there own !?

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Jan 12, 2017, 5:54:17 AM1/12/17
to ravendb
In other words, things work, but the studio takes a while to process this.

rabidlemming

Jan 12, 2017, 6:12:33 AM1/12/17
ok so if i wait long enough the studio will catch up and sort it self out ?

 this may explain why when i had the same issue with my index's the day after they had sorted themselves out.

My concern is that in a live environment dose this mean i have to be careful when making changes because there may be a lag in any updates or is it  purely a studio thing and under the hood raven should always return me the newest  (the truth so to speak) version of the transform ?

if there is a chance that i may not end up with the correct version of a transform until the system catches up is there anyway to defensively code against this ?

I didnt have this issue when i used raven on a VM so im a little worried this is due to raven been on a cluster and there been some replication issue im not aware of

so long as i can be confidant that changes to transforms wont cause me issues im happy but just want to be sure :)

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Jan 12, 2017, 6:21:44 AM1/12/17
to ravendb
It should, yes. I think it is an issue with how the studio handles the update for lock notifications.
You can verify it by looking at the transformers endpoint directly.
Alternatively, you can do the test against live-test.ravendb.net so there is no secret info or https.

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

--
Message has been deleted

rabidlemming

Jan 12, 2017, 10:17:05 AM1/12/17
ok it seems this is a know issue with raven which should have been fixed http://issues.hibernatingrhinos.com/issue/RavenDB-5208

rabidlemming

Jan 12, 2017, 10:48:59 AM1/12/17
ok with some help i worked out that whilst pointing to my main node i was looking at the fallover node ...doh ! im putting this down to man flu to excuse my stupidity :( thank you for all ur help again as always :)