RavenDb 3.5.3: Unreliable behaviour combining BulkInsert and DeleteByIndex Operations

Georg Müller

Jul 18, 2017, 4:37:50 AM7/18/17

We try to create a reliable data sync mechanism with another database.
One Operation gets the a full export from the other database.

In order to get the same data in RavenDB we
  1. load the data using BulkInsert, and applying an operation unique metadata (OperationId). All data inserted during BulkInsert have the same OperationId
  2. after that we delete all data where the OperationId is not the same as the OperationId from the last operation using DeleteByIndex
The DeleteByIndex Operation waits until Indexes are non stale.

Problem
The DeleteByIndex Operation sometimes does not delete the expected data.

An Repro is attached. It executes a test similar to ours 10 times. On my machine this fails about 2-4 times

Regards Georg
RavenDb_Repro.zip

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Jul 18, 2017, 11:49:43 AM7/18/17
to ravendb
What happens when you are explicitly issuing a query with WaitForNonStaleResults before hand?

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

Georg Müller

Jul 19, 2017, 9:10:31 AM7/19/17
I added a WaitForNonStaleResults Query before the DeleteByIndex, but same problem here. I also already tried adding a Task.Delay of up to 5 Seconds before the delete.
But it looks like this has nothing to do with a stale index.

Regards
Georg

Grisha Kotler

Jul 19, 2017, 10:02:54 AM7/19/17
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Looking into this.

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd  cid:image001.png@01CF95E2.8ED1B7D0

Grisha Kotler l RavenDB Core Team Developer Mobile: +972-54-586-8647

RavenDB paving the way to "Data Made Simplehttp://ravendb.net/

Grisha Kotler

Jul 19, 2017, 11:08:21 AM7/19/17
to rav...@googlegroups.com
I could reproduce the issue in build 3.5.3 (4 errors out of 10).
It is working correctly in build 3.5.4-patch-35202.

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd  cid:image001.png@01CF95E2.8ED1B7D0

Grisha Kotler l RavenDB Core Team Developer Mobile: +972-54-586-8647

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

RavenDB paving the way to "Data Made Simplehttp://ravendb.net/

Georg Müller

Jul 20, 2017, 4:22:04 AM7/20/17
Looks good on 3.5.4-patch-35202. Any reason why this is a preview in NuGet?

Regards
Georg

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Jul 20, 2017, 9:33:36 AM7/20/17
to ravendb
We want to have a stable release tomorrow
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ravendb+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.