RavenDB 4.0 - having trouble doing nested includes with load results

Ciel

Nov 30, 2017, 1:23:02 AM11/30/17

In RavenDB 3.5, I could use a Transformer and call Include<T>() on the result of a Load<T> in order to include nested data, but I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to reproduce this behavior in RavenDB 4.0. Is it even possible?

But in RavenDB 4.0, I can't get to an Include<T> after I use RavenQuery.Load<T>. The goal is to optimize the request so that subsequent requests won't be as expensive.

Ciel

Nov 30, 2017, 1:33:52 AM11/30/17

I did try just nesting the actual RavenQuery inside the Include, like this - but I got a strange error that it didn't know how to deal with that.

  System.InvalidOperationException : No idea how to deal with convert Load(n.Pages.get_Item("Endowments")) to a member expression

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Nov 30, 2017, 3:39:57 AM11/30/17
to ravendb
Can you show the document directly?
It is probably something that will need to use a raw query.
Easiest to test this out in the studio

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

Ciel

Nov 30, 2017, 4:45:49 AM11/30/17
What do you mean by "can you show the document directly?" I'm afraid I do not understand. Is it possible to do LINQ expressions in a RawQuery like that, as well?

Grisha Kotler

Nov 30, 2017, 6:57:52 AM11/30/17
to rav...@googlegroups.com
How does your document looks like?

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd  cid:image001.png@01CF95E2.8ED1B7D0

Grisha Kotler l RavenDB Core Team Developer Mobile: +972-54-586-8647

RavenDB paving the way to "Data Made Simplehttp://ravendb.net/

Ciel

Nov 30, 2017, 7:37:44 AM11/30/17
Oh, sorry. It looks like this. The Pages is a dictionary of List<string>.

{

Id: string,

Owner: string,

Name: string,

Pages: {

Endowments: string[],

Allocations: string[]

}
}

Ciel

Nov 30, 2017, 8:27:41 AM11/30/17
And then the loaded documents have a shape that looks like this;

{

Id: string,

Name: string,

Chosen: [

{

Id: string,

Name: string,

// ...

}

]
}

Ciel

Nov 30, 2017, 10:02:12 AM11/30/17

My biggest problem is that I don't even know where to begin for the LINQ queries in RQL.

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Nov 30, 2017, 11:42:49 AM11/30/17
to ravendb
Can you do the following?
Create a sample database with the documents structure in 4.live-test.ravendb.net
And show the sample output you want?

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017, 7:27 AM Ciel <stacey.ci...@gmail.com> wrote:
And then the loaded documents have a shape that looks like this;

{

Id: string,

Name: string,

Chosen: [

{

Id: string,

Name: string,

// ...

}

]
}

Ciel

Ciel

Nov 30, 2017, 12:43:49 PM11/30/17
Alright, I created the sample database and filled it with some random data. Essentially, I'm wanting to get something like this out of it by querying a single Notebook. (http://4.live-test.ravendb.net/studio/index.html#databases/documents?&database=stacey.cielia.lynn%40gmail.com)

{
  "Id": "characters/1/notebooks/1",
    "Name": "CHARACTER_A",
    "Endowments": [
        "endowments/66",
        "endowments/4",
        "endowments/16",
        "endowments/7",
        "endowments/45",
        "endowments/16",
        "endowments/32"
    ]
}

However, I want to use the Include feature on the Ids, since they'll have to be loaded in the near future for what is happening.

Ciel

Nov 30, 2017, 12:56:47 PM11/30/17

Normally, the data in those documents isn't needed, and there's a lot of it, so I opted not to denormalize much of it. There will be other kinds of pages in the dictionary on the notebook, so I can't just save them as a big string array because there has to be a way to infer the specific type at some point.

Ryan Heath

Nov 30, 2017, 2:07:02 PM11/30/17
to rav...@googlegroups.com
I got something like this:

declare function Ids(e) {
    ids = [];
    for(var i = 0; i < e.length; i++)
    for(var j = 0; j < e[i].Chosen.length; j++)
    {
        var c = e[i].Chosen[j];
        ids.push(c.Id);
    }
    return ids;
}
from notebooks as n
load n.Pages.Endowments as e[]
select n.Id, n.Name, Ids(e) as Endowments

I tried various syntax but using a javascript function was working for me.

// Ryan

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Dec 1, 2017, 6:50:47 PM12/1/17
to ravendb
The query you'll want to use is here:

from Notebooks as n
load n.Pages.Endowments as e[]
select  n.Name, e.Chosen.Id as Endowments
include Endowments

I had to do a small fixup to get this working, so please wait for the build on Sunday for this.

In the meantime, you can use this:

declare function output(n) {
    var endowments = [];
    for(var i = 0; i< n.Pages.Endowments.length; i++) {
        var e = load(n.Pages.Endowments[i]);
        for(var j = 0; j < e.Chosen.length; j ++) {
            endowments.push(e.Chosen[j].Id);
            include(e.Chosen[j].Id);
        }
    }
    return {Name: n.Name, Endowments: endowments };
}
from Notebooks as n
select output(n)

You can invoke this using session.Advanced.RawQuery from the C# client.

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

Ciel

Dec 2, 2017, 3:56:42 PM12/2/17
to rav...@googlegroups.com

Thank you both so much! I had no idea you could use pure Javascript in RQL!

So can you have multiple selects? For example, there will be other collections I eventually want to include in the same way shortly, in the same query, but don't necessarily want to have them in the final model. The purpose of including them is just to make subsequent pieces of the code more efficient.

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Dec 3, 2017, 1:49:27 AM12/3/17
to ravendb
Yes, you can call `include()` on values that aren't in the select if you so wish
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to ravendb+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Ciel

Dec 3, 2017, 2:37:24 AM12/3/17
to rav...@googlegroups.com
I'm a bit confused, is it not possible to load the Endowments and put them in the include without being part of the select? For the example I gave you, I had them in the final output, but realistically they wouldn't actually be part of the output model.

Ciel

Dec 3, 2017, 2:41:15 AM12/3/17
Oh wait, I think I'm starting to get it. So the select isn't the last part of the RQL ... so this would work?

from Notebooks as n
load n.Pages.Endowments as e[]
load n.Pages.Traits as t[]
load n.Pages.Commands as c[]
select n.Name
include e.Chosen.Id
include t.Chosen.Id
include c.Chosen.Id

Ciel

Dec 3, 2017, 3:26:18 AM12/3/17
This is truly incredible. RQL is so powerful! I think I've got something working now - is there any way to save the RQL in the studio and just call it from code? I'm not really fond of these string literals. Thank you both again for all of your help.

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Dec 3, 2017, 8:50:11 AM12/3/17
to ravendb
Yes, except that include & load are  single clause, you'll need:

from Notebooks as n
load n.Pages.Endowments as e[], n.Pages.Traits as t[], n.Pages.Commands as c[]
select n.Name

There is another issue, and that is that the include operates on the shape of the output, not the shape of the query, so you'll want to include it in the output, or use a function

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Dec 3, 2017, 8:51:16 AM12/3/17
to ravendb
No, there is no such way.
This is by design, because otherwise you'll run into issue that route (see, stored procedures and how they are handled).

On Sun, Dec 3, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Ciel <stacey.ci...@gmail.com> wrote:
This is truly incredible. RQL is so powerful! I think I've got something working now - is there any way to save the RQL in the studio and just call it from code? I'm not really fond of these string literals. Thank you both again for all of your help.

Ciel

Dec 4, 2017, 3:43:46 PM12/4/17
to rav...@googlegroups.com

"There is another issue, and that is that the include operates on the shape of the output, not the shape of the query, so you'll want to include it in the output, or use a function"

Forgive me, but I'm a little unclear on what this means. You said I can use include on things not in the output, but this sounds contradictory to that. Can I bother for an example of what said function might be like then?

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Dec 5, 2017, 2:39:52 AM12/5/17
to ravendb
declare function foo()
{
    // you can call include on anything here.
}
include // only things that are in the output will be included.

Note that this make sense, because you need to know what to call Load on in the client side, otherwise you are just including documents for no reason

On Sun, Dec 3, 2017, 7:51 AM Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien) <aye...@ayende.com> wrote:
No, there is no such way.
This is by design, because otherwise you'll run into issue that route (see, stored procedures and how they are handled).

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

On Sun, Dec 3, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Ciel <stacey.ci...@gmail.com> wrote:
This is truly incredible. RQL is so powerful! I think I've got something working now - is there any way to save the RQL in the studio and just call it from code? I'm not really fond of these string literals. Thank you both again for all of your help.

Ciel

Dec 13, 2017, 4:20:09 AM12/13/17
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Hrnm, I'm having a tough time figuring out what it considers a valid script. I'm using this;

declare function includable(e) {
    load e as ids[]
    include ids
}
from Notebooks as n
includable(n.Pages.Endowments)
select n.Id

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 1:39 AM Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien) <aye...@ayende.com> wrote:
declare function foo()
{
[...]

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Dec 13, 2017, 4:38:41 AM12/13/17
to ravendb
Inside the function, there is normal JS code, nothing fancy.
declare function includable(endowments) {
    var ids = load(endowments);
    for(var i = 0; i <ids.length; i++){
          include(ids.Chosen.Id);
    }