Embedded RavenDB 3.0 / system database

Tobi

Sep 16, 2014, 11:40:40 AM9/16/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Using RavenDB3 as an embedded DB, the studio warns me "Meddling with
the system database could cause irreversible damage".

Am I supposed to do the same as
RavenTestBase.SetStudioConfigToAllowSingleDb() (Setting
Raven/StudioConfig["WarnWhenUsingSystemDatabase"] = false)?

Or should I create an extra database (if this is possible at all with
an Embedded DB).

Tobias

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Sep 16, 2014, 12:52:26 PM9/16/14
to ravendb
Yes, that would work, but creating another db is better.
And yes, you can now create a second db within embedded db.

Oren Eini

CEO

Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office:  + 972-4-622-7811

Fax:      + 972-153-4622-7811

Tobi

Sep 16, 2014, 2:59:30 PM9/16/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Can you please give an example how this should be set up with an
EmbeddableDocumentStore?

(I would like to have everything under Data/.)

Tobias

On 16.09.2014 18:52, Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien) wrote:

> Yes, that would work, but creating another db is better.
> And yes, you can now create a second db within embedded db.
>

> *Oren Eini*____
>
> CEO____
>

> Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969____
>
> Office: + 972-4-622-7811____
>
> Fax: + 972-153-4622-7811
>

> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 6:40 PM, Tobi <lista...@e-tobi.net
> <mailto:lista...@e-tobi.net>> wrote:
>
> Using RavenDB3 as an embedded DB, the studio warns me "Meddling with
> the system database could cause irreversible damage".
>
> Am I supposed to do the same as
> RavenTestBase.__SetStudioConfigToAllowSingleDb__() (Setting
> Raven/StudioConfig["__WarnWhenUsingSystemDatabase"] = false)?
>
> Or should I create an extra database (if this is possible at all with
> an Embedded DB).
>
> Tobias
>
> --

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Sep 16, 2014, 3:51:13 PM9/16/14
to ravendb
It wasn't exposed, I fixed that, should be something like this:

var ravenConfiguration = new RavenConfiguration
{
DataDirectory = "~/Data"
};
var ravenDbServer = new RavenDbServer(ravenConfiguration);
var asyncFilesSession = ravenDbServer.FilesStore.OpenAsyncSession("my-files");

Oren Eini

CEO

Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office:  + 972-4-622-7811

Fax:      + 972-153-4622-7811

Tobi

Sep 16, 2014, 5:28:44 PM9/16/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I think your answer refers to my comment on your blog about attachments/RavenFS on embedded systems. This would have been my next question, but right now I would like to know, how to set up an embedded database with the system database + the "real" database.

Is the EmbeddableDatabase class kinda obsolete? Am I supposed to use RavenDbServer directly instead?

I tried something like this:

var ravenConfiguration = new RavenConfiguration
{
    DataDirectory = "~/Data/Databases/System",
    CompiledIndexCacheDirectory = "~/Data/CompiledIndexCache"
};
using (var ravenDbServer = new RavenDbServer(ravenConfiguration))
{
    ravenDbServer.Initialize();
    ravenDbServer.DocumentStore.DatabaseCommands.GlobalAdmin.CreateDatabase(new DatabaseDocument
    {
        Id = "FooDatabase",
        Settings =
        {
            {"Raven/DataDir", "~/FooDatabase"}
        }

    });

    using (var session = ravenDbServer.DocumentStore.OpenSession("FooDatabase"))
    {
        session.Store(new Foo());
        session.SaveChanges();
    }
}

But this feels kinda awkward and is confusing in several ways (need to use settings dictionary instead of strongly typed settings, weird directory settings,...)

Tobias

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Sep 17, 2014, 12:28:26 AM9/17/14
to ravendb
For the embeddable database, you can keep using it as usual.
It will handle this internally.

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

Tobi

Sep 17, 2014, 7:17:54 AM9/17/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
So what is the "best practice" now? Use only the System-DB or have a
separate Application-DB ?

Because RavenDB complains when using the system database I assume I should
use a separate database for application data.

But setting this up seems to be really complicated.

I use RavenDB embedded, not as a server and thats why I want everything to
be in a single subdirectory:

Data\SystemDB
Data\ApplicationDB
Data\CompiledIndexCache
Data\Whatever-Else

This seems to be impossible to do using EmbeddableDocumentStore.

Tobias

On 17.09.2014 06:28, Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien) wrote:

> For the embeddable database, you can keep using it as usual.
> It will handle this internally.
>
> */Hibernating Rhinos Ltd /*____
>
> Oren Eini* l CEO l *Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969
>
> Office: +972-4-622-7811 *l *Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811
>
> __
>
> __
>> *Oren Eini*
>>
>> CEO
>>

>> Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969
>>
>> Office: + 972-4-622-7811
>>
>> Fax: + 972-153-4622-7811
>>

>> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 9:59 PM, Tobi <lista...@e-tobi.net
>> <mailto:lista...@e-tobi.net>> wrote:
>>
>> Can you please give an example how this should be set up with an
>> EmbeddableDocumentStore?
>>
>> (I would like to have everything under Data/.)
>>
>> Tobias
>>
>> On 16.09.2014 18:52, Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien) wrote:
>>
>> > Yes, that would work, but creating another db is better.
>> > And yes, you can now create a second db within embedded db.
>> >

>> > *Oren Eini*____
>> >
>> > CEO____
>> >

>> > Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969 <tel:%2B%20972-52-548-6969>____
>> >
>> > Office: + 972-4-622-7811 <tel:%2B%20972-4-622-7811>____
>> >
>> > Fax: + 972-153-4622-7811
>> >

>> > On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 6:40 PM, Tobi <lista...@e-tobi.net
>> <mailto:lista...@e-tobi.net>
>> > <mailto:lista...@e-tobi.net <mailto:lista...@e-tobi.net>>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Using RavenDB3 as an embedded DB, the studio warns me
>> "Meddling with
>> > the system database could cause irreversible damage".
>> >
>> > Am I supposed to do the same as
>> > RavenTestBase.__SetStudioConfigToAllowSingleDb__() (Setting
>> > Raven/StudioConfig["__WarnWhenUsingSystemDatabase"] = false)?
>> >
>> > Or should I create an extra database (if this is possible
>> at all with
>> > an Embedded DB).
>> >
>> > Tobias
>> >
>> > --
>> <http://googlegroups.com>
>> > <mailto:ravendb%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
>> <mailto:ravendb%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>>.
>> > <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>> >

>> > --
>> it, send an
>> > email to ravendb+u...@googlegroups.com
>> <mailto:ravendb%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
>> > <mailto:ravendb+u...@googlegroups.com
>> <mailto:ravendb%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
>>
>> --
>>

>> --

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Sep 18, 2014, 1:28:58 AM9/18/14
to ravendb
Yes, used named dbs.
You can do that very easily, you just need to make sure that you have set the right Raven/DataDir

The path should be:

~/ApplicationDB

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

Marco

Sep 21, 2014, 4:41:59 PM9/21/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Can you give an example on how to configure the system and applicationdb in the  ~\Data\System and ~\Data\ApplicationDb?

Thanks

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Sep 22, 2014, 1:13:51 AM9/22/14
to ravendb
When you create the database, you can specify the Raven/DataDir
Just set it to the right value.

Tobi

Sep 22, 2014, 10:47:10 AM9/22/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
I still haven't figured out how to do this.
I would like to have:

- an embedded RavenDB, created/opened from code
- separate system-DB and application-DB
- an embedded HTTP server for RavenDB disabled by default - can be
enabled for maintenance
- an embedded RavenFS, because attachments will be dropped in 3.0 + X
- all in ONE sub-directory (including CompiledIndexCache etc.)

This is what I tried:

http://pastie.org/9584478

...but it doesn't work that way:

- No idea how to get an embedded RavenFS
I patched EmbeddableDocumentStore to get access to server.FileStore
- I still get a Raven\CompiledIndexCache
- The RavenFS-part doesn't work at all this way

Tobias

On 22.09.2014 07:13, Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien) wrote:

> [...]
> >> It wasn't exposed, I fixed that, should be something
> like this:
> >>
> >> var ravenConfiguration = new RavenConfiguration
> >> {
> >> DataDirectory = "~/Data"
> >> };
> >> var ravenDbServer = new
> RavenDbServer(__ravenConfiguration);
> >> var asyncFilesSession =
> >> ravenDbServer.FilesStore.__OpenAsyncSession("my-files");
> >>

> >> *Oren Eini*
> >>
> >> CEO
> >>

> >> Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969
> >>
> >> Office: + 972-4-622-7811
> >>
> >> Fax: + 972-153-4622-7811
> >>

> >> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 9:59 PM, Tobi <lista...@e-tobi.net
> >> <mailto:lista...@e-tobi.__net>> wrote:
> >>
> >> Can you please give an example how this should be set up with an
> >> EmbeddableDocumentStore?
> >>
> >> (I would like to have everything under Data/.)

Chris Marisic

Sep 22, 2014, 11:06:07 AM9/22/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
There are alot of sharp edges around all the various folder locations, it is way too difficult to make ravendb adhere to a folder location setup you want.
>             >>         >     <mailto:ravendb%__2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
>             <https://groups.google.com/d/__optout>
>             >>         >     <https://groups.google.com/d/__optout
>             <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>>.
>             >>         >
>             >>         >
>             >>         > --
>             >>         > You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>             >>         Google Groups
>             >>         > "RavenDB - 2nd generation document database" group.
>             >>         > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
>             >>         it, send an
>             >>         > email to ravendb+u...@__googlegroups.com
>             >>         > <mailto:ravendb+u...@__googlegroups.com
>             <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>             >>
>             >>         --
>             >>         You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>             >>         Google Groups "RavenDB - 2nd generation document database" group.
>             >>         To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
>             >>         it, send an email to ravendb+u...@__googlegroups.com

Kijana Woodard

Sep 22, 2014, 11:36:48 AM9/22/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
I guess I'm struggling with understanding the goal.

Given:

MyApp
  SystemDB
  AppDB
  RavenFS
  etc

Isn't "MyApp" the "one directory"?

Chris Marisic

Sep 22, 2014, 11:40:24 AM9/22/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
I believe tobi is saying he ends up with something like

MyApp
--AppData
----RavenDB
--Raven
----CompiledIndexes

Instead of

MyApp
--AppData
----RavenDB
------CompiledIndexes
>             >>         >     <mailto:ravendb%__2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com

>             <https://groups.google.com/d/__optout>
>             >>         >     <https://groups.google.com/d/__optout
>             <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>>.
>             >>         >
>             >>         >
>             >>         > --
>             >>         > You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>             >>         Google Groups
>             >>         > "RavenDB - 2nd generation document database" group.
>             >>         > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
>             >>         it, send an
>             >>         > email to ravendb+u...@__googlegroups.com
>             >>         > <mailto:ravendb+u...@__googlegroups.com

>             <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>             >>
>             >>         --
>             >>         You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>             >>         Google Groups "RavenDB - 2nd generation document database" group.
>             >>         To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
>             >>         it, send an email to ravendb+u...@__googlegroups.com

Kijana Woodard

Sep 22, 2014, 12:00:18 PM9/22/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Looking at what server creates, if you point the server to "MayApp/AppData/" it seems you would have:

MyApp
--AppData
----DataBase
------System
------Databases
--------App
----Raven
------CompiledIndexes

If true, would that mean that "AppData" is the desired "one directory"?
I can see wanting to isolate the "raven stuff" from your app files/folders, but once under the directory you give to raven, what difference does it make? For a full blown server installation, it appears that Raven/CompiledIndexes is a peer to Database. If things now "work the same" for embedded, that seems like "A Good Thing".

Tobi

Sep 22, 2014, 4:50:03 PM9/22/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
What I want is:

MyApp/
--data/ -> All RavenDB-Stuff goes in here
--cfg/
--log/
--doc/
--MyApp.exe/

So I don't really care about how it looks inside data/, but I do care
about having all my database-stuff in a single subdirectory.

There's no setup. The application is xcopy-deployed and the less
directories I have, the better.

Tobias
> [...]
> > > {
> > > ravenDbServer.Initialize();
> > >

> ravenDbServer.DocumentStore.____DatabaseCommands.GlobalAdmin.____CreateDatabase(new
> > > DatabaseDocument
> > > {
> > > Id = "FooDatabase",
> > > Settings =
> > > {
> > > {"Raven/DataDir", "~/FooDatabase"}
> > > }
> > >
> > > });
> > >
> > > using (var session =
> > >
> ravenDbServer.DocumentStore.____OpenSession("FooDatabase"))
> > > {
> > > session.Store(new Foo());
> > > session.SaveChanges();
> > > }
> > > }
> > >

> > > But this feels kinda awkward and is confusing in several
> > ways (need to
> > > use settings dictionary instead of strongly typed

Kijana Woodard

Sep 22, 2014, 5:17:36 PM9/22/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
That is the structure I would expect [everything under data].

I'm guessing there is no "Raven/DataDir" in the Configuration class.
Can you set the property in app.config?

Tobi

Sep 23, 2014, 5:36:15 AM9/23/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Now I tried this:

       using (var store = new EmbeddableDocumentStore
            {
                Configuration =
                {
                    DataDirectory = @"Data\SystemDB",
                    CreateAnalyzersDirectoryIfNotExisting = false,
                    CreatePluginsDirectoryIfNotExisting = false,
                    //CompiledIndexCacheDirectory = @"Data\CompiledIndexCache",
                    Settings = new NameValueCollection
                    {
                        {"Raven/CompiledIndexCacheDirectory", @"Data\CompiledIndexCache"}
                    }
                },
                DefaultDatabase = "ApplicationDB",
            })

... and get:

Data\
    SystemDB\
    CompiledIndexCache\
    Databases\
        ApplicationDB\

At least I have everything in one folder now. But it's useless because it uses "ApplicationDB" as the system database.

Tobias

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Sep 23, 2014, 6:25:25 AM9/23/14
to ravendb
Huh?
It doesn't use ApplicationDB as the system db.
If you'll look at the Data\SystemDB, you'll see the db doc pointing to appdb

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

Tobi

Sep 23, 2014, 7:11:36 AM9/23/14
to rav...@googlegroups.com
You're right, but the Studio opens the AplicationDB as the system-DB.

If I go to:

http://localhost:8080/studio/index.html

it shows me:

"No databases are available"

Opening:

http://localhost:8080/studio/index.html#databases/indexes?&database=%3Csystem%3E

shows me the contents of ApplicationDB, not SystemDB

Tobias

On 23.09.2014 12:24, Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien) wrote:

> [...]
>> https://groups.google.com/d/____optout
>> > <https://groups.google.com/d/__optout>
>> > <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>>.

>> because you are subscribed to the
>> 2nd generation document database" group.
>> group and stop receiving emails from
>> > ravendb+u...@__googlegroups.__com
>> <mailto:ravendb+u...@__googlegroups.__com> <http://googlegroups.com>

>> > <https://groups.google.com/d/__optout>
>> > <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>>.

>> because you are subscribed to the Google
>> generation document database" group.
>> group and stop receiving emails from it,
>> > ravendb+u...@__googlegroups.__com
>> <mailto:ravendb+u...@__googlegroups.__com> <http://googlegroups.com>
>> <mailto:ravendb%2Bu...@>__google__groups.com
>> <http://google__groups.com>
>> > <http://googlegroups.com>>.
>> > <https://groups.google.com/d/__optout>
>> > <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>>.

>> because you are subscribed to the Google

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Sep 23, 2014, 7:15:10 AM9/23/14
to ravendb
Hm, that isn't right.

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Sep 23, 2014, 7:16:22 AM9/23/14
to ravendb