RavenDB 4 - Strong Name

Fernando Ferreira Diniz de Moraes

Oct 17, 2017, 6:11:23 PM10/17/17
Hello,

Are there any plans to release Raven 4.0 components (both Server and Client) with a strong name in the future?

Thanks in advance.

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Oct 18, 2017, 3:13:50 AM10/18/17
to ravendb
For the server, no, we won't be doing that.
For the client, we don't want to do that unless there is a really good reason to do that ourselves.

Strong naming doesn't provide a lot of advantages to us.

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

Fernando Ferreira Diniz de Moraes

Oct 18, 2017, 1:00:39 PM10/18/17
I can see some good reasons not to strong-name assemblies, specially for those targeting .NET Standard.

However, my scenario is of an application targeting .NET 4.6.2 composed of multiple assemblies acting as plug-ins, all of them strong-named. Needless to say, not having a strong named version of RavenDB Client would prevent us from interacting with the Database Server in a proper, strongly typed manner in this context.

Also, due to the "virality" nature of strong-named assemblies, we ended up strong-naming test projects. In some of the tests, we currently make use of an in-memory embedded document store as a database replacement. I've learned from this other thread that initializing an instance of RavenServer would be the way to go in RavenDB 4.0, which also poses a problem in this world of strong-named test assemblies, since the Raven.Server.dll would not be strong-named.

Of course, it would be possible for us to isolate the Raven Server on its own process, but it would feel clunky and unnatural.

In this specific context, how does having a strong-named version of the assemblies sound to you?

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 1:11 AM, Fernando Ferreira Diniz de Moraes <fernando.ferreira.diniz.mor...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

Are there any plans to release Raven 4.0 components (both Server and Client) with a strong name in the future?

Thanks in advance.

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Oct 19, 2017, 2:33:09 AM10/19/17
to ravendb
For testing, you won't need the Raven.Server.dll strongly named, it isn't referenced directly.

Justin A

Oct 22, 2017, 11:14:55 PM10/22/17
*cry* :(

Let them compile there own. Lets stop propagating this mess :(

-me-

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Oct 23, 2017, 1:47:13 AM10/23/17
to ravendb
I have to agree, it has been giving us a lot of trouble over the year.
Given that we make the snk public anyway, that give zero additional security.

If there is a good way to have users self sign it, that would be preferable.

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Oct 23, 2017, 1:48:46 AM10/23/17
to ravendb
FWIW, we do code signing using PKI that ensure that the packages that you get are actually properly signed.
This is a higher level of security than strong naming, and it is required by some clients for security purposes to ensure that they don't get anything but the official build that is cryptographically signed.

I'm betting that most people won't even care, and that the difference is that they don't see an error in VS.