Can a Hot Spare be used to help with upgrades or server reboots?

Media Lab

Oct 25, 2016, 12:29:26 PM10/25/16
We are running a single instance of Raven currently, however we are moving towards using it much more extensively which will involve more licenses eventually. For now though, the Hot Spare feature seems like it's a good fit as we continue to prove the utility of RavenDb.

One question I have is can we use the hot spare's "Test" mode so that it's up & running while we upgrade our current RavenDb server to the latest or possibly apply patches to the server it sits on? I don't want to a) burn through an actual hot spare license for a 5 minute outage as we reboot a server or install the latest Raven, but I also don't want to b) abuse the license for the hot spare.

-Robb

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Oct 25, 2016, 11:42:33 PM10/25/16
to ravendb
A hot spare test mode can be used for up to an hour, but note that it will revert back to hot spare automatically.

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

Media Lab

Oct 26, 2016, 9:45:07 AM10/26/16
That's absolutely perfect for things like upgrades & server patching.

Granted, I got the company to just buy another license, but it's good information to have nonetheless.