Licensing Plan

GreyBrown

Apr 27, 2016, 3:34:28 AM4/27/16

since we are now in progress of getting our development project some kind of product ready, we would like to understand the licensing implications in order to build our business plan (yes, a real startup):

Please correct me if i am wrong:

  1. Running a test instance in our own organization, where non dev people test our solution needs a license (some kind of functional testing)
    • For that purpose we would either go with the standard license (698 $) or some kind of basic or basic plus (7 $ or 16$ / month) for very small instances.
  2. For our small customers, running their own servers we would start with an "ISV" license (3,498 $ per year) and maybe a professional or production support (2k $ / 6k $) for that license
    • I understood from the licensing page, that "Only a single instance can be deployed for the same application" means that there is only one server per client / application possible. Would it be ok, to have a standby server with read on fail over running in parallel?
    • "Only for deployments outside your organization" means to me, that the server is not deployed in our own infrastructure. In case a customer wants us to sell a e.g. virtual machine (IaaS) and would that still be "out of our organization"?
  3. In case of a big customer, with a requirement of more than 6 CPUs or 12 GB RAM, we would go for an Enterprise license (6,304 $ or more, according to the information on the "buy" page).
  4. The support, according to the information on ravendb.net, only covers one license.
    • Therefore, the ISV licenses could be covered with a support model and
    • the Enterprise License would need a separate support agreement.

Is that correct?

Best regards

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Apr 27, 2016, 9:29:06 PM4/27/16
to ravendb
inline

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 10:34 AM, GreyBrown <markus....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

since we are now in progress of getting our development project some kind of product ready, we would like to understand the licensing implications in order to build our business plan (yes, a real startup):

Please correct me if i am wrong:

  1. Running a test instance in our own organization, where non dev people test our solution needs a license (some kind of functional testing)
    • For that purpose we would either go with the standard license (698 $) or some kind of basic or basic plus (7 $ or 16$ / month) for very small instances.

Correct.

  1. For our small customers, running their own servers we would start with an "ISV" license (3,498 $ per year) and maybe a professional or production support (2k $ / 6k $) for that license
    • I understood from the licensing page, that "Only a single instance can be deployed for the same application" means that there is only one server per client / application possible. Would it be ok, to have a standby server with read on fail over running in parallel?
No, that requires additional license.

    • "Only for deployments outside your organization" means to me, that the server is not deployed in our own infrastructure. In case a customer wants us to sell a e.g. virtual machine (IaaS) and would that still be "out of our organization"?
Yes, that would be fine.

  1. In case of a big customer, with a requirement of more than 6 CPUs or 12 GB RAM, we would go for an Enterprise license (6,304 $ or more, according to the information on the "buy" page).
  2. The support, according to the information on ravendb.net, only covers one license.
The support is per licenses, except for the ISV,.
    • Therefore, the ISV licenses could be covered with a support model and
    • the Enterprise License would need a separate support agreement.

Is that correct?

Yes, but note that if you have more than 20 or so enterprise licenses purchase, you're probably better off talking to us about volume deals.

Best regards