can't install rattle on Mac OS

Qiang Shen

Jan 30, 2018, 6:54:36 AM1/30/18
to rattle-users
Previously I have successfully installed the rattle on my computer, but still failed this time. I am a Mac user (10.12.6) and the R version is 3.4.1, I have installed Xquartz and the latest version of the GTK (GTK_2.24.17-X11.pkg), but still fail to install RGtk2 using the command install.packages("RGtk2", depen=T) in R(see below for the detailed inforamtion), then how I can solve this?

Btw, as the rattle is a tool that aim to make it easier to run the machine learning analysis using GUI in R, it's vital to make the installment as painless as possible, or it will be quite hard to make is popular among general users.

Installing package into ‘~/Library/R/3.4/library’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
Package which is only available in source form, and may need
  compilation of C/C++/Fortran: ‘RGtk2’
Do you want to attempt to install these from sources?
y/n: y
installing the source package ‘RGtk2’

Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 2793069 bytes (2.7 MB)
downloaded 2.7 MB

* installing *source* package ‘RGtk2’ ...
** package ‘RGtk2’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
checking for pkg-config... no
checking for INTROSPECTION... no
checking for GTK... no
configure: error: GTK version 2.8.0 required
ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘RGtk2’
* removing ‘/Users/qiangshen/Library/R/3.4/library/RGtk2’
Warning in install.packages :
  installation of package ‘RGtk2’ had non-zero exit status

The downloaded source packages are in
‘/private/var/folders/w1/9mnk9npj2l37dctt97030hxr0000gn/T/Rtmpe3vcpy/downloaded_packages’

Graham Williams

Aug 16, 2018, 3:03:07 AM8/16/18
to rattle-users
Users of Mac OS/X might be interested to know that Yihui Xie of RStudio has set up a repo for the Mac that simplifies installing rattle. Have a look at https://zhiyzuo.github.io/installation-rattle/