Getting started with rattle and R 3.2.1. "World-Famous-Astronaut" - OS: Mac OS X 10.10.4 Yosemite

Steffen Möckel

Aug 5, 2015, 5:14:16 AM8/5/15
to rattle-users

Dear all:

after trying a number of different things, I managed to get rattle started. In order to get around the issues associated with properly installing the RGtk2 and cairoDevice packages, I followed the guidance available from [SOLVED] Installing rattle on R 3.1 and Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) - Marco Ghislanzoni's Blog. This helped a lot.

Ultimately, I was able to start rattle within R - using the latest r-studio version. However, for what ever reason, the execute button does not work.

Irrespective, of what I am doing, I keep on getting an error message telling me:

"dispatchExecuteButton is referenced from an unknown tab". The only way, I can access data frames is using R>rattle(dataset = "DataFrameName"). Unfortunately, whatever tab (Data, Explore, ...) I select, I keep on getting this error message. Even if a data frame is shown in the data tab, since execute does not work, the data are not available  for further analysis. To me, it seems that the execute button logic is flawed.

The error occurs even if I switch from rattle 3.5.4 to 3.5.0. I also tried a set-up using R 3.1.3 as an earlier version. However, I ended up with the same error message.

I hope somebody out there has an idea what I can to solve the issue.
Thank you very much for suggestions!

Regards
Steffen

Graham Williams

Aug 5, 2015, 7:02:42 AM8/5/15
to rattle-users
Hi Steffen - this might be the issue noted on http://rattle.togaware.com/rattle-install-troubleshooting.html with the solution:

> Sys.setenv(LANGUAGE="en") > library(rattle) > rattle()

Graham Williams

Steffen Möckel

Aug 5, 2015, 3:46:48 PM8/5/15
to rattle-users
Hi Graham,

... thanks a lot - you just made my day!

In order to rectify the issue, I had to do the following:
>q()
Using terminal, I used:

>defaults write org.R-project.R force.LANG en_US.UTF-8

Then I restarted R and used the commands you kindly mentioned below.

And now am able to focus and studying may data!

Regards

Steffen R. Möckel