Interesting Article on Best Practices when writing code & scripts

Bryan Hanson

Feb 13, 2013, 10:00:20 AM2/13/13
to rat...@googlegroups.com
Although this article is titled "Best Practices for Scientific Computing" I think the principles and suggestions are much more universal. If you are writing scripts or more serious code in any language for any field this might be worth the read. I found the article here: http://www.r-bloggers.com/document-design-and-purpose-not-mechanics/

By the way if anyone is interested in version control using git/github I have put up a cheat sheet here: https://github.com/bryanhanson/MiscDocuments

It is limited to the operations I do regularly, which don't begin to touch the full power of git. If you are interested in the full power for git I can point you to some wiki's where people explain how they use it on large projects with many contributors.

Bryan

Best Practices Scientific Computing.pdf