Ratchet in production using Socket.IO Client?

Thomas Schedler

Aug 29, 2012, 3:31:11 AM8/29/12
to ratch...@googlegroups.com
Hi @ all,

I'm fairly new to WebSockets so please apologize any dumb question.

The idea of having all in the same language seems to me a big advantage.

But what about memory usage or memory leaks of long running php processes?

Have any ever use the server in production?

If so, are you using Supervisor to run the server?

And my last questen: Is it possilbe to use Ratchet with the Socket.IO client?

Many thanks for any response!

Regards,
Thomas

Igor Wiedler

Aug 29, 2012, 6:58:35 AM8/29/12
to ratch...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas,

Let me try and answer from my point of view, and Chris can chime in with his own experience as well.

But what about memory usage or memory leaks of long running php processes?

PHP itself can deal with this issue. It has reference counting, garbage collection, cyclic gc since PHP 5.3 and performance improvements since PHP 5.4. So the language itself has been able to deal with that for a while now.

Naturally you still need to be careful to clean up after yourself and not leave references hanging around. This is not specific to PHP, but is also an issue with nodejs for example.

Have any ever use the server in production?

I myself have never used it for a client project or anything like that, but the chat server on socketo.me has been running for quite a while now.

If so, are you using Supervisor to run the server?

Yes, I would strongly recommend using supervisord to keep the process running at all times.

And my last questen: Is it possilbe to use Ratchet with the Socket.IO client?

Socket.io requires the server to implement HTTP-based fallback transports. Ratchet does not implement any of these transports. I still have the plan to work on a SockJS implementation based on Ratchet, which is very similar to Socket.io.

It's worth noting that if you want to use Ratchet with old browsers, you can use the flash fallback. This is also used on socketo.me, and it works with very many old browsers.

I hope I could answer some of your questions.

Regards,

Igor

Andreas Goetz

May 15, 2016, 5:08:44 AM5/15/16
to Ratchet, ig...@wiedler.ch
Hello,

please allow me to bring this ancient topic back up. I'm currently looking into replacing legacy autobahn.js on client side with socket.io.

From my understanding both of those implement a protocol with features like pub/sub and broadcasting. Both do/can use web sockets. I'm not interested in other stuff like socket.io's different transports or WAMP's RPC features.

It seems that socket.io must have its own protocol that its talking and was wondering if there is a server-side implementation based on ratched around what would enable pub/sub and broadcasting? The protocol documentation here https://github.com/socketio/socket.io-protocol seems pretty scarce.

Cheers,
Andreas