Outdoor Installation

Whitham Reeve

Jul 22, 2018, 1:00:00 PM7/22/18
to RaspberryShake
Hello everyone - I would like to hear suggestions on installing the RS in an outdoor environment, particularly the type of base mount for the RS enclosure. My main concern is the effect on sensor response, if any.

My RS will be mounted in a waterproof enclosure with waterproof power connection and wireless LAN. I think the ideal installation would be to set the enclosure directly on the ground or on a small concrete pad on the ground.

However, the snow can be up to about 1 m deep during winter and we have many Moose wandering the area, These Moose sometimes get spooked or agitated and rampage through the area and could easily smash the enclosure if it is on the ground.

I could place a treated wood post (100 x 100 m square) in the ground and mount the RS enclosure on top of it at about 1 m above ground level. But I do not know if this will negatively affect the sensor response.

Any ideas and suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Whit

--
Whitham D. Reeve
Anchorage, Alaska USA

James Skinner

Jul 22, 2018, 5:02:38 PM7/22/18
to raspber...@googlegroups.com
- Whit -

Having been born in Alaska myself, I would think that a 100 meter x 100 meter treated wood post would survive any bear or moose attack !! Personally, I would suggest a small underground "vault" with the lid just barely above the ground level.
Heavy walled liquid storage barrels with a screw on lid with some sort of a concrete pier in the center might work well so long as you make sure there is good coupling to the ground at the bottom.

Jim, K6BPT (R4F29)

--
Some useful links:

Manual: http://manual.raspberryshake.org/
Do It YourSelf Page: http://raspberryshake.org/do-it-yourself
Shop: https://shop.raspberryshake.org/
Website: http://raspberryshake.org/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/raspishake/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/raspishake/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/raspishake/
Hashtag: #rasperryshake, @raspishake
DOI: https://doi.org/10.7914/SN/AM
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RaspberryShake" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/raspberryshake.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/raspberryshake/a6f22c68-d369-422a-89eb-5a2efb9c99d6%40googlegroups.com.

Whitham Reeve

Jul 23, 2018, 12:28:19 PM7/23/18
to RaspberryShake
Jim - My original post had a typo. I envisioned a wood post 100 x 100 mm (4 inches x 4 inches), not 100 x 100 m.

Anyway, a ground-mounted unit probably would be the best setup from a sensor response point-of-view.

I will bury a small HDPE precast vault similar to that used for traffic signal wiring. These are rated for vehicle traffic so there will be no chance of a moose hoof going through it. Also, the lid will be relatively easy to remove if I need access in the winter.

Whit
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to raspberryshak...@googlegroups.com.

Branden Christensen

Jul 23, 2018, 12:35:23 PM7/23/18
to RaspberryShake
I concur. I think the post would add unwanted signal amplification/ resonance.

I googled the precast vault. I want one! Sometimes I miss the USA for this exact reason- you can buy just about anything at Home Depot/ Lowes. I was born in the USA and moved to Latin America over a decade ago and when I go back north to visit the family, I never miss a trip to Home Depot just to walk through the aisles and see what is new. I also lived in Fairbanks for 2 years. I had many bear and moose encounters.

I would really enjoy seeing some photos of this installation. Feel free to share them on social media too and tag us: @raspishake

Have fun building your vault!

Yours,

Branden Christensen
Director, Raspberry Shake project, Social Media: @raspishake
USA: +1-845-418-5735; Panamá (Whatsapp): +507-6747-1427

"Vive a tu manera" - Herencia de Timbiquí

Whitham Reeve

Jul 23, 2018, 12:49:21 PM7/23/18
to RaspberryShake
Here is the unit I will be using:

It's a little bigger than necessary but will do the job.

Whit

James Skinner

Jul 23, 2018, 1:39:06 PM7/23/18
to raspber...@googlegroups.com
- Whit -

Yup.... I noticed the typo and it was the primary reason for my reply hee hee.  I have used the same kind of vault for many years, they are robust enough and last forever.  My 3 component geophone pack in is one that is buried in my back yard we just call the sprinkler valve housings.  If you look at the instrument "pier" details of my "system # 2" you will see how mine are set up.

Jim, K6BPT (R4F29)
Tucson, Arizona

Tucson Seismic Station Sys_2.pdf

Jim Skinner K6BPT

Jul 23, 2018, 1:49:48 PM7/23/18
to RaspberryShake
- Whit -

Here are a few pics of my ancillary instrument pier that should work for you.

Jim (R4F29)
3 Component Geophone_1.JPG
3 Component Geophone Pit.JPG
Tucson Seismic Installation Sys _1.1.pdf

Whitham Reeve

Jul 23, 2018, 2:20:03 PM7/23/18
to RaspberryShake
Yes, my setup will be similar. I'll use a cinder block embedded in gravel as the base of the vault. Thanks for the pix.

Whit

James Skinner

Jul 23, 2018, 3:18:25 PM7/23/18
to raspber...@googlegroups.com
- Whit -

Good deal. I would make sure the bottom cinder block is firmly in contact with bedrock or firmly compacted soil and that you use finely grained sand around the cinderblock itself to keep the noise from gravel down to a minimum.  The sand will help keep heavy footsteps attenuated some.

Happy digging,  Jim (R4F29)

Jenny Bailey

Jul 24, 2018, 5:31:29 AM7/24/18
to raspber...@googlegroups.com, Branden Christensen
Good morning all,

This is my installation. I’ve hammered a met post ( photo below ) into the ground and placed the raspberryshake on top of it, then covered it with an old beehive.

Sensor number AM.R17DF

Now considering a raspberry boom

Kind regards

Jenny

Image result for metpost

Branden Christensen

Jul 24, 2018, 7:16:22 AM7/24/18
to RaspberryShake
I see you 3D printed your own enclosure too! Nice.

Branden

--
Some useful links:

Manual: http://manual.raspberryshake.org/
Do It YourSelf Page: http://raspberryshake.org/do-it-yourself
Shop: https://shop.raspberryshake.org/
Website: http://raspberryshake.org/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/raspishake/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/raspishake/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/raspishake/
Hashtag: #rasperryshake, @raspishake
DOI: https://doi.org/10.7914/SN/AM
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RaspberryShake" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/raspberryshake.
5mUg83DKSVKeVeKGaDvHIA.jpeg
metpost-wedge-grip-750mm-spike-for-75mm-posts.jpg
PgPhMIdQSKe8YBektOgKVg.jpeg

chris...@aol.com

Jul 24, 2018, 10:05:49 AM7/24/18
to raspber...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jenny,

    What happened to the bees ? Were they not bee-hiving themselves ?

    Regards,

    Chris
    What happened to the bees ? Were they not bee-hiving themselves ?

    Regards,

    Chris

Hi Chris,

we have other beehives, this was just an old one and a convenient cover for the raspberry shake.

Kind regards

Jenny

This is my installation. I’ve hammered a met post ( photo below ) into the ground and placed the raspberryshake on top of it, then covered it with an old beehive.

Sensor number AM.R17DF

Now considering a raspberry boom

Kind regards

Jenny

<metpost-wedge-grip-750mm-spike-for-75mm-posts.jpg>

<5mUg83DKSVKeVeKGaDvHIA.jpeg><PgPhMIdQSKe8YBektOgKVg.jpeg>