Fwd: Students Newsletter -- IEEE Robotics and Automation Society; Issue:2/9

Tamas Haidegger

Oct 26, 2011, 3:11:32 PM10/26/11
to RAS Students list
Funny. What happened to the header? :) Anyway, the content is great,
thanks to Marcelo and his team!
T.

This is a forwarded message
From: RASnew...@ieee.org <RASnew...@ieee.org>
To: haid...@ieee.org
Date: Wednesday, October 26, 2011, 9:05:03 PM
Subject: Students Newsletter -- IEEE Robotics and Automation Society; Issue:2/9

=================Original message text===============

You're receiving this newsletter because you are RAS student member.

Any comments or suggestions? Contact us. Having trouble viewing this email? View it in your browser.
RAS Student Activities Committee Newsletter
Volume 2, Issue 9, 22th October 2011

In this issue

Last call for 2012 RAS SAC Chairs IROS 2011 SAC Report IROS 2011 contests Learn more about IEEE and its benefits! Some NL survey results! Toolbots: Useful Resources Interesting News about Robotics Upcoming Conferences Deadlines

Take a look at

IROS 2011 Website

RAS Society Website

IEEE Spectrum Robotics Channel

Automaton Blog

Follow us on

More interesting info...

Looking for a position? See RAS Robotics Positions site

Take a look at RAS news bulletin for more news related to robotics. You can also see RAS Calendar for updated info about upcoming events.

Hey, reviewers! Take a look at Student Reviewers Program website!

Look at previous issues!

If you are insterested in previous issues of this newsletter please take a look at RAS wiki.

Be part of newsletter!

There's lot of work to do to obtain better and useful newsletters. Help us!

Subscribe

Have you been forward this email? Subscribe and receive it from us!
Know someone who might be interested in this email? Tell us.

Feedback

Any comments or suggestions? Contact us.

Dear friends,

It's a pleasure to salute you again through this new issue of our monthly newsletter. As you surely know, one of the world biggest robotics conference, IROS 2011, took place a few weeks ago in San Francisco, USA. Lots of robots from academia and industry got the focus of attention those days!!

As tradition, the SAC committee organized some activities for student attendees. Thank you very much for joining us!!! You can find the IROS 2011 SAC report by Anya Dervakoba and Tamas Haidegger below. Remember you can still participate in the Photo Contest and Student Reporters Program! See the details in next sections.

You will also find information about the last RAS SAC call for volunteers and IEEE benefits, and our periodic sections toobots, interesting news and coming events. Please make use of navigation bar on the left to scroll through sections you are most interested in.

It is worth mentioning that we are very grateful to all those who participated in the survey that we sent you. All the results have been processed and you can find some of them below. This will really help us improve the newsletter and include new and useful content for you all!

Finally, don't forget that you are always invited to be part of all activities promoted by the SAC committee. Please visit our site to keep updated of SAC projects and get involved!

Keep in touch!

Marcelo
Cochair 2011/Newsletter Editor

Last call for 2012 RAS SAC Chairs

The IEEE Robotics and Automation Society is seeking applications for the new board of the Society's Student Activities Committee (SAC) - one chair and two co-chairs. The chair will serve for two calendar years (2012-13), and the co-chairs for one year term in 2012.

The board members of the SAC are appointed from a slate of candidates, approved by the Membership Activities Board. Candidates may be undergraduate or graduate students, but must be student members of the IEEE Robotics and Automation Society in good standing.

The ideal candidate has strong social and professional skills, willing to take part in the ongoing activities and having proposals for new initiatives. There is no geographical preference!

If you wish to be considered for nomination, please visit our wiki for further information. All applications are due October 31, 2011.

Looking forward to seeing your application!
IEEE RAS MAB

Go to top

IROS 2011 SAC Report

By Anya Derbakova and Tamas Haidegger

This year's IROS was held in the exciting city of San Francisco, USA, 25-30th September. The conference turned out to be a great success with the number of attendees far exceeding the expected (1800+). The number of conference submissions this year was also unusually high, resulting in a much lower acceptance rate and an exceptional quality of work presented. The conference organizers did an amazing job at structuring the technical sessions and plenary talks, which were given by notable individuals such as Marc Raibert (founder of Boston Dynamics) and Sebastian Thrun (Stanford/Google self-driving car pioneer), among others. The attendees were also engaged with numerous demonstrations from companies ranging from Willow Garage and KUKA Robotics to Intuitive Surgical. While there, those interested could learn how to implement simulations of the PR2 robot operation, sword fight with a KUKA arm, or perform a simulated surgical procedure. All this is just a small subset at the numerous activities that took place at IROS.

The Robotics and Automation Society's Student Activities Committee (RAS SAC) also did its part to insure that students in particular remained engaged at the conference and had plenty of opportunities to interact and meet their colleagues. We attempted to organize events that would be fun and exciting for everyone attending.

SAC started the week off by organizing an informal student lunch event. We attempted to select a location that would be representative of the quality of local cuisine, but also quite close to the conference venue as the time between technical sessions was quite limited. Around 20 of us settled in a nearby Thai restaurant called "The Old Siam". At first, we were not so certain of its quality due to the semi-inviting external appearance, but it proved to be absolutely delicious to everyone's taste. Highly recommended!

Other lunch events organized by SAC were the GOLD Lunch and the Lunch with Leaders. These were designed to be more formal networking events for upcoming and recent graduates/post-docs (GOLD) as well as current graduate students (LwL). Lunches took place in the nearby Serrano Hotel, and were attended by invited guests such as Prof. Nikolaus Papanikolopoulos (RAS vice-president for conference activities), Prof. Gerd Hirzinger (DLR director), Prof. Martin Buehler (iRobot director) and Dr. Steve Cousins (Willow Garage CEO), among others. Despite all our efforts, there was some confusion about the time, location and attendance of the two lunches. We extend sincere apologies to students affected by this and vouch to do better at next year's ICRA!

To conclude the formal events of the student program, the SAC encouraged students to attend the SAC Board Meeting, to contribute their ideas on how to improve student activities and increase student involvement at future conferences. This meeting was unfortunately being held at 6:30am, but due to our ardent advertising, this was the best attended SAC Board Meeting ever! It was also quite productive, as a handful of ideas were brought forth to be presented at the Member Activities Board Meeting later in the week.

Students also had the opportunity to network and to get to know each other in more informal settings. We organized several evening events following the regular conference program. On one occasion, we attempted to visit San Francisco's Pier 39 or "Fisherman's Warf". Unfortunately, it turned out that on the specific day we came it was mostly closed. Though we decided to continue the evening at one of the local pubs and the entertainment continued! Finally, for those students remaining on Friday, we organized a student biking trip to the Golden Gate Bridge. This event turned out to be very successful! A handful of people came out, which was a perfect sided group for this event, and the weather was simply amazing. Thanks to those who decided to join us!

This concludes the brief overview of student events at IROS 2011. We had a great time getting to know all of you and hope to meet you once again at next year's ICRA!

If you have any comments, concerns, or suggestions regarding any of the RAS SAC activities, please don't hesitate to write to us as ras...@ieee.org.

The SAC expresses its gratitude to all people involved in the organization of IROS11. Special thanks go to our beloved girls, Anya Derbakova, Laura Margheri and Ann Majewicz, and the guys as well, Tom Wedlick, Jens Windau and many others.

As additional information you can take a look at IROS 2011 Expo Gallery posted by Evan Ackerman in IEEE Spectrum Automaton blog. This is a little gallery of some of the robots from the expo floor of the IROS conference.

Go to top

IROS 2011 Contests -- STILL OPEN

New deadline for submissions: October 31.

Student Photo Contest
All RAS students are invited to participate in the Student Photo Contest. The IROS 2011 Student Photo Contest is a seasonal amateur photography competition, which is open to IROS 2011 undergraduate and graduate student attendees. The judging of the submitted photographs will be made by the IEEE RAS SAC, involving independent judges. Three winners will be announced. You can upload your pictures HERE! All submitted entries will be retained for archival purposes.
Student Reporters
The chance is given to you to become famous with your writing skills: we are calling for entertaining, yet professionally relevant reports on the different Sessions of IROS 2011. Please submit your report to RAS_studen...@ieee.org. You can register your report intention here.

Go to top

Learn more about IEEE and its benefits!

Free E-books for IEEE Members
Check out a sample of free e-books available to members from the IEEE eBook Classics collection. The books cover such topics as linear time-invariant systems, magnetism, wave propagation, and how to make presentations. Read more...

Student Transition
IEEE STEP was developed to provide a standardized yet localized program for facilitating the transition from student member to young professional, by introducing the opportunities and benefits of IEEE membership during the onset of a career.

Funding is available for STEP activities including the graduation reception for groups holding an event with a minimum of 10 recent graduates. Read more...

Learn more about IEEE membership benefits here.

Go to top

Some newsletter survey results!

A few weeks ago we sent to all student members of society a survey to learn more about our readers. We are very pleased that there was great participation and we want to thank you!! We recieved answers from 89 students mainly from regions 8, 9 and 10. Here are some graphs that illustrate some of the results, while you can check the complete report here:

I want to thank Vivek Bhagat who has really helped us with the survey and the analysis of results. We hope to improve soon this newsletter to increase your satisfaction!

Thank you very much!

Marcelo
Newsletter Editor

Go to top

Toolboots: Useful Resources

By Tania Thanda

The Electronics Teacher--All About Electronics And Robotics

Need for today's world is Robotics with Intelligence. The Electronics Teacher defines the core material for Robotic Domain- Sensing, Planning, Modelling and Control. Various robotic technologies have been thoroughly elucidated here. Sensors- its use, levels of processing, types, machine vision; Effectors-Legs, wheels, arms, wings, fins; Actuators- DC motors, gearing, electronic control; Controller- open and closed loop systems, architecture; Arms- 7 degrees of freedom; Artificial Intelligence and Mobility have been carefully annotated with minute details. Numerous other features like Types of Robots (Mobile, Stationary, Autonomous, Virtual, BEAM, etc), History of Robots, their uses, advancements and other exciting points have been cited.

The cool part is that the tutorial mentioned here suites all robotic junkies as it is described in four different phases - 1.Simple (basics, tools required, components, design), 2. Beginners (hardware tutorials on robot brain, motor, sensor, bodywork and programming tutorials on introduction, variables, loops, conditional statements), 3. Intermediate (DC, servo and stepper motors, A-D and D-A converters, BasicX, Obstacle avoidance using Robocore, GP2D02, Lego), 4. Advanced- (Building motor driver, feedback motor control, program technology, multitasking). Click and dwell in the world where knowledge resides...

Read more...

Go to top

Interesting News about Robotics

Free Stanford AI online course Draws 160K Students!!
A free online course at Stanford on artificial intelligence has attracted more than 160,000 students from around the world. This course is Introduction to artificial intelligence and it is taught by professors Sebastian Thrun and Peter Norvig.

You can read this article for some more details. We have checked in their twitter for the exact number of students enrolled: 160,000 students!!! WOW!

You can find and have free access to all lessons given so far in https://www.ai-class.com/.

Go to top

Upcoming Conferences Deadlines

Here we leave you a remainder with some upcoming conferences and deadlines:

Coming conferences:

11th IEEE -RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robot (HUMANOIDS 2011)
From October 26th to October 29th in Bled, Slovenia 9th IEEE International Symposium on Safety, Security, and Rescue Robotics (SSRR 2011)
From November 1st to November 6th in Kyoto, Japan 5th International Conference on Automation, Robotics and Applications (ICARA 2011)
From December 6th to December 8th in Wellington, New Zealand

Next deadlines:

ASME Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference (MSEC 2012)
From June 4th to June 8th, in Notre Dame, IN
Submission deadline: 1st November 2011 5th IEEE RAS BioRob 2012)
From June 24th to June 28th in Roma, Italy
Submission deadline: 30th November 2011

Don't forget that you can check the RAS Calendar for more events information.

Go to top
Newsletter Editor: Marcelo L. Moreyra - marcelo...@ieee.org

RAS Student Activities Committee Chairperson: Tamas Haidegger - haid...@ieee.org

IEEE, 445 Hoes Lane, Piscataway, NJ 08854 USA
<http://www.ieee.org/>

==============End of original message text===========

--
mailto:haid...@ieee.org

Message.html

Marcelo L Moreyra

Oct 26, 2011, 3:33:30 PM10/26/11
to ras-s...@googlegroups.com
yes! what happened is a good question!!! =0
thanks to all

m.-