New to ruby & ramaze. Where to start?

Tonedef

Jul 28, 2011, 5:18:39 AM7/28/11
to Ramaze
I'm coming from PHP, and I really want to pick up ruby along with
ramaze, but it's a bit difficult to know where to start. I'd like to
be able to start building apps sooner rather than later.I've got
passenger, mysql, and ramaze all working nicely it seems but now I'm
sort of stuck with really basic stuff like building signup pages,
hashing passwords, dealing with session data etc. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Yorick Peterse

Jul 28, 2011, 5:36:36 AM7/28/11
to ram...@googlegroups.com
 Tonedef,

First of all I'd recommend you not to use Phusion Passenger. While it may be
easier to use that other servers it's mostly aimed at Rails applications. Give
Thin or Unicorn a try (the latter is a bit hard to setup/maintain but comes with
some nice advantages).

Besides this the first step is reading the user guide which can be found at
http://ramaze.net/documentation/index.html. While the guide isn't complete
(quite a few parts are still missing) the things you're looking for are covered
in it. For example, for managing sessions you probably want to use the User
helper of which the guide can be found here:

For hashing passwords I recommend using BCrupt using the 'bcrypt-ruby' gem. A
somewhat difficult but useful example of using this Gem in Ramaze (and with

If you have any other questions feel free to post them here on the mailing list
or drop by in the IRC channel which is #ramaze on Freenode.

Yorick

Yorick Peterse

Jul 28, 2011, 7:21:10 AM7/28/11
to ram...@googlegroups.com
Tonedef,

Small typo, "bcrupt" should've been "bcrypt" :)

Yorick

Scott LaBounty

Jul 28, 2011, 9:59:18 AM7/28/11
to ram...@googlegroups.com
You might also find a few things of interest at steamcode.blogspot.com. There's a number of things with Ramaze and Sequel (an ORM). Many of the examples date back and so might not be compatible with the latest Ramaze. If you have an issue though, let me know, and I'll see what I can do to get it working.

Good luck.

Scott
--
Scott
http://steamcode.blogspot.com/

Tonedef

Jul 28, 2011, 12:25:17 PM7/28/11
to Ramaze
Thanks Yorick! I'll give these a shot... Looking forward to using
ramaze :)

On Jul 28, 4:21 am, Yorick Peterse <yorickpete...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tonedef,
>
> Small typo, "bcrupt" should've been "bcrypt" :)
>
> Yorick
>
> On 28 July 2011 11:36, Yorick Peterse <yorickpete...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >  Tonedef,
>
> > First of all I'd recommend you not to use Phusion Passenger. While it may
> > be
> > easier to use that other servers it's mostly aimed at Rails applications.
> > Give
> > Thin or Unicorn a try (the latter is a bit hard to setup/maintain but comes
> > with
> > some nice advantages).
>
> > Besides this the first step is reading the user guide which can be found at
> >http://ramaze.net/documentation/index.html. While the guide isn't complete
> > (quite a few parts are still missing) the things you're looking for are
> > covered
> > in it. For example, for managing sessions you probably want to use the User
> > helper of which the guide can be found here:
> >http://ramaze.net/documentation/helpers/user.html.
>
> > For hashing passwords I recommend using BCrupt using the 'bcrypt-ruby' gem.
> > somewhat difficult but useful example of using this Gem in Ramaze (and with
> > Sequel) can be found here:
> >https://github.com/zen-cms/Zen-Core/blob/develop/lib/zen/package/user...

Tonedef

Jul 28, 2011, 12:29:54 PM7/28/11
to Ramaze

Thanks! Looks like they do have some useful bits over there. I'll give
it a read...

On Jul 28, 6:59 am, Scott LaBounty <slabou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You might also find a few things of interest at steamcode.blogspot.com.
> There's a number of things with Ramaze and Sequel (an ORM). Many of the
> examples date back and so might not be compatible with the latest Ramaze. If
> you have an issue though, let me know, and I'll see what I can do to get it
> working.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Scott
>
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 4:21 AM, Yorick Peterse <yorickpete...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Tonedef,
>
> > Small typo, "bcrupt" should've been "bcrypt" :)
>
> > Yorick
>
> > On 28 July 2011 11:36, Yorick Peterse <yorickpete...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >>  Tonedef,
>
> >> First of all I'd recommend you not to use Phusion Passenger. While it may
> >> be
> >> easier to use that other servers it's mostly aimed at Rails applications.
> >> Give
> >> Thin or Unicorn a try (the latter is a bit hard to setup/maintain but
> >> comes with
> >> some nice advantages).
>
> >> Besides this the first step is reading the user guide which can be found
> >> at
> >>http://ramaze.net/documentation/index.html. While the guide isn't
> >> complete
> >> (quite a few parts are still missing) the things you're looking for are
> >> covered
> >> in it. For example, for managing sessions you probably want to use the
> >> User
> >> helper of which the guide can be found here:
> >>http://ramaze.net/documentation/helpers/user.html.
>
> >> For hashing passwords I recommend using BCrupt using the 'bcrypt-ruby'
> >> gem. A
> >> somewhat difficult but useful example of using this Gem in Ramaze (and
> >> with
> >> Sequel) can be found here:
> >>https://github.com/zen-cms/Zen-Core/blob/develop/lib/zen/package/user...

James Britt

Jul 29, 2011, 12:12:14 PM7/29/11
to ram...@googlegroups.com
Yorick Peterse wrote:
> Tonedef,
>
> First of all I'd recommend you not to use Phusion Passenger. While it may be
> easier to use that other servers it's mostly aimed at Rails
> applications. Give
> Thin or Unicorn a try (the latter is a bit hard to setup/maintain but
> comes with
> some nice advantages).

What's the issue with Ramaze and Phusion? It works off Rack, no?

I've used it with Ramaze apps with no problem.

James

Yorick Peterse

Jul 29, 2011, 12:50:36 PM7/29/11
to ram...@googlegroups.com
James,

It has been a while since I last tried out Passenger but at the time it's Rack support wasn't too great.
On top of that it feels like you're riding a bike with training wheels but that's just a personal opinion.

Yorick

Roy Wright

Jul 29, 2011, 7:39:53 PM7/29/11
to ram...@googlegroups.com
I've been using Ramaze on Passenger+SSL+Apache.  The Apache with SSL was a requirement and at the time I did not find another option than Passenger.

Now my usage is not really typical, the web app is used to set up a cluster that uses another apache instance, then the setup apache instance terminates and goes away.

Have fun,
Roy