finance experiments

anatoly techtonik

Dec 11, 2013, 12:14:17 AM12/11/13
to rain...@googlegroups.com
Trying to find some motivation to support python-patch, I decided to
experiment with money. There is a lot of evidence that donations don't
help - even popular open source projects with lots of contributors rarely
raise anything more than $20 a month. For the most this barely covers
hosting costs, let alone time spend on the project. If we take typical
commercial development rate for python-patch, it may estimate to
(which is about 4 times higher than my author's estimation).

Why experiment with money if it is still hopeless and doesn't worth the
time spent? The main reason is curiosity, the secondary is challenge,
and the third one is experience. No matter how big or small the flow is,
experience matters. If people can waste millions of dollars for nothing,
we can prove that we can do better by learning how to care for cents.

I will try fundraising for projects like python-patch with donation buttons
and other things and open source money flow as much as possible, so
that people can learn on my experience, me myself can recap and
change my vision towards money and financial side of hacking things.

I believe that placing donation buttons is harmful for project reputation,
because they look like begging and sad reminder that you can't make
money with open source. They also can discourage other people from
contributing, because the feeling that you work for free and somebody
does the same thing, but compensated, raises a rather high barrier of
negative emotions that make people feel distressed. But knowing the
truth that donations never saved anyone helps to regain the lost sense
of fun and collaboration.

On the other side python-patch never had a single release in a few
years even though it is quite popular compared to my other projects.
What can be worse than unmaintained project with a lot of patches?
Only unmaintained project with a lots of ads. Hopefully, there won't be
any ads there. =)

Goals of experiment is to see how funding works, to explore available
technologies and platforms for fund raising, crowd funding, donations
and hidden costs. Build completely transparent system that can be
used as a backed for public initiatives. Automate or simplify boring and
repeated processes. Save time, record best practices and have fun.