Re: [Rails.MN] Your favorite shortcuts for creating a Ruby on Rails app

Mickey Maddox

Jan 27, 2015, 9:45:44 AM1/27/15
to Jason Hsu, rai...@googlegroups.com
My experience is that some people avoid setting up new projects as much as possible.  Some people love creating new projects and customize and automate the hell out of it.  Most everyone else is just trying to minimize the pain of new project setup.  Having to download and evaluate tools for automating project setup is pain.  I think this middle group just goes with the first thing they run across that could possibly work.  Maybe they hear about it from a coworker or a blog post or a google search, they just want to get it over with and move onto something they feel is less painful.

I agree there is no consensus.  There is popularity though.  It is almost a king of the hill situation where the most popular project setup option is constantly getting knocked off the throne.

Even though I enjoy project creation, I try to minimize the time I spend thinking about it.  In my opinion, the winds of change blow too quickly.

I'm not sure why I wrote this.  I apologize if it was not enjoyable for you to read.  :p

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 11:31 PM, Jason Hsu <jhsu8...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just released a new Ruby gem called generic_app.  It uses the latest Rails Tutorial Sample App from a point just before the addition of microposts and followers.  Thus, you start off with a generic app and save yourself the work of having to install static pages, Twitter bootstrap, tests, Guard, user functionality, user activations, and password resets.  It's FAR easier and quicker to customize a generic app than to create the entire app from scratch.  My source code for this generic_app gem is at https://github.com/jhsu802701/generic_app .

I'd like to hear about the shortcuts you use for creating a Ruby on Rails app.  I recently tried the Hobo gem, but it didn't work for me and was outdated (still on Rails 4.0 while Rails Tutorial uses 4.2).  What other shortcuts are there?  It is obvious to me that there is no clear consensus on this matter.