TODO - what about in Windows? [installation of the vagrant/virtual box/git bash (shell)]

Raptor Man

Jun 30, 2013, 11:34:43 PM6/30/13
to rai...@googlegroups.com

I am happily digging around in R on R in my 5 year old laptop for Mac.  I then decided to run my windows box ...  but hit something which stumped me nearly immediately.  The section in bold.  I know there were probably more windows users at the first two lessons.  I wasn't one of them that time.  I ran the three steps on your getting started and they all went off without a hitch ... minus what appeared to be a permissions error at first (RPC is serving fine).  It might be a permissions error still, and I would normally cowboy through bash/git/vagrant/virtual machine.

The catch being I have no idea that, should I cowboy through - will the lessons and gem etc run like they are expected further down the line.... so I look up a ton of files and am unsure of what would fix it without sabotaging the windows expirement :)

I found the .bash config file, the git config file and read 5 pages of stackoverflow (some still over my head):

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6883760/git-for-windows-bashrc-or-equivalent-config-files-for-git-bash-shell

http://git-scm.com/book/en/Customizing-Git-Git-Configuration

http://yuilibrary.com/yui/docs/tutorials/git/

Along with the documentation on vagrant:

http://docs-v1.vagrantup.com/v1/docs/getting-started/

Per the instructions, I spent an hour or more pouring over in vagrant, I just install the files and *bam* I can change into the railsmn-dev-box and vagrant up.

Thus where it all goes wrong:

Step 2 - Build Vagrant Virtual Machine

In the terminal application,

git clone git://github.com/railsmn/railsmn-dev-box.git
cd railsmn-dev-box
vagrant up

TODO - what about in Windows?  ... does anyone recall what to do about windows?  I really appreciate all the help in the labs, just something I botched by not attending the first class and now, I need that bit :)

Still, the question ... will it blow up or snicker off in even more hard to find errors - which will take hours to find because you guys weren't around to see what I did?

Install Vagrant

To install Vagrant, download the appropriate package or installer from the downloads page, and install it using standard operating system procedures. On Windows and Mac OS X, the vagrant command should automatically be placed on your PATH. On other systems, you must add /opt/vagrant/bin to your PATH.

Raptor Man

Jun 30, 2013, 11:45:45 PM6/30/13
to rai...@googlegroups.com
vagrant_up_error.jpg

Raptor Man

Jul 1, 2013, 6:54:19 PM7/1/13
to rai...@googlegroups.com
It seems I'm twice the victim of coming late to windows virtualboxing ... June 23rd they updated the virtualbox hosted on oracle and broke the files.... as claimed by another poster:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tools.vagrant/216

The fix is to find the stable 4.2.12 instead of using the broke June release 4.2.14 off oracle's page.

I haven't finished the down load yet  ... but here is the link to the old version that is the supposed fix:

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_4_2

Derek Rockwell

Jul 1, 2013, 7:02:03 PM7/1/13
to rai...@googlegroups.com
Let me know how it works!

I was going to do some investigation as I haven't entirely run through setting up a Windows box w/ VirtualBox yet. I made the switch from Windows -> Unix for my development needs a while ago.