Venue for Meetups

tamouse pontiki

Dec 17, 2015, 10:39:19 PM12/17/15
to RailsMN
Hi, all,

I'm in the process of finding us another permanent venue for our monthly meetups. With Google Developer series pulling their sponsorship, causing CoCo to drop free events, there may be a scramble to find spots.

These are the needs, as I conceive them:

* space for about 25 people, along with a place to lay out food and drinks.
* a projector / large screen to give presentations
* a good arrangement of desks for people to work on their projects, sufficient power outlets and such
* an accessible location, no rickety stairs, good parking nearby, convenient to public transit, convenient rest rooms

Here are some possible spots under investigation:

* Sports Ngin -- they have a large auditorium that holds about 300 people, and a lounge area that has been suggested to us for working. Our January 2016 meetup will be at Sports Ngin and we can give it a trial run.

* SmartFactory -- not contacted. They have a training room, but it only seats 16 comfortably, and it's up a steep stairway with one bathroom downstairs.

* Datatrend Technologies -- not seen. They have a large, oval conference table and projectors which would hold 20 to 40. It's located out in Minnetonka/Plymouth which is not so well located. But they're eager to have us.

* Lunds Uptown -- not seen or contacted. They have a community room that can be booked.

* Dayblock -- upstairs is huge, but I hear they want $$$ for it's use. We'd need to acquire sponsorship for that.

* PowerObjects -- not contacted. Their classroom is really *awesome* and would be perfect for us.

* Vidku -- not contacted. Their 5th floor commons is also just *incredible*.

* LeadPages -- not contacted, but I've also heard they are pretty booked up. Really lovely folks.

* Code42 -- not contacted. They hosted a RailsBridge weekend a couple of times. Pretty nice space.

* U of Minnesota -- not contacted. They have some nice spaces, though.

* Target Commons -- not contacted, not sure about the space.

* Prime Digital Academy's "Primatorium" -- it's big, but also spread out. It might be difficult to do a presentation, but their classrooms have generally been open during the evenings I've been there.

* ObjectPartners -- not seen/contacted

* JAMF Software -- not seen/contacted

* Microsoft Store in MoA -- not seen/contacted -- I didn't even know this was a thing

* Twin City Maker (http://www.tcmaker.org) -- not seen or contacted.

Rejected so far:

* Software for Good -- I trip on those stairs above the Bulldog *every* *time*. :(  Really wonderful folks.

* ReachLocal -- too small a space (but fabulous people!)

tamouse pontiki

tamouse pontiki

Jan 15, 2016, 5:42:31 PM1/15/16
to RailsMN
Thanks to Odell Tuttle, VPEng at Sport Ngin -- they have become our new home for our monthly meetups!