rails error (the System cannot find the path specified)

Puria jahanbani

Feb 15, 2016, 7:20:07 AM2/15/16
to RailsInstaller
When I type rails in the command line I get "The system cannot find the path specified." I've checked my environment variables and the directory is in fact there and when I type ruby -v I receive the version number as I should. Ruby and rails are both in the same directory as the path specified in my environment variables. Can someone help me figure out how to resolve this?

Thanks!

Surya Avantsa

Feb 15, 2016, 7:29:14 AM2/15/16
to railsin...@googlegroups.com

How did you install rails?

Take care

Surya Avantsa

On Feb 15, 2016 7:20 AM, "Puria jahanbani" <puriaja...@gmail.com> wrote:
When I type rails in the command line I get "The system cannot find the path specified." I've checked my environment variables and the directory is in fact there and when I type ruby -v I receive the version number as I should. Ruby and rails are both in the same directory as the path specified in my environment variables. Can someone help me figure out how to resolve this?

Thanks!

Puria jahanbani

Feb 15, 2016, 7:39:19 AM2/15/16
to RailsInstaller
Actually I installed the package from http://railsinstaller.org/en. The rails.bat is in C:\RailsInstaller\Ruby2.2.0\bin and I've checked environment variables path and it exists.
I've tried to install rails separately by "get install rails -V" and etc.. but It didn't work.

Surya Avantsa

Feb 15, 2016, 7:50:32 AM2/15/16
to railsin...@googlegroups.com

Its "gem install rails" , not get.

I'm assuming this is the first time you are installing ruby and rails. So just run this command without the -v option.

Take care

Surya Avantsa
240-552-9063

Puria jahanbani

Feb 15, 2016, 7:57:18 AM2/15/16
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
Oh sorry! Yeah that was gem not get, my mind mistake. That's right,
it's my first time to install ruby on rails. I've tried that command
in many ways, with -v without -v .. etc .. none of them worked! And
now I'm trying to install rails 4.2.3 , I hope it'll work. Thanks
anyway
> Google Groups "RailsInstaller" group.
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/railsinstaller/tlcFaKxBJOY/unsubscribe.

Puria jahanbani

Feb 15, 2016, 7:58:55 AM2/15/16
to RailsInstaller
Oh sorry! Yeah that was gem not get, my mind mistake. That's right, it's my first time to install ruby on rails. I've tried that command in many ways, with -v without -v .. etc .. none of them worked! And now I'm trying to install rails 4.2.3 , I hope it'll work. Thanks anyway.

Surya Avantsa

Feb 15, 2016, 8:01:47 AM2/15/16
to railsin...@googlegroups.com

Uninstall rails completely, gem uninstall rails

Then install it again. To install a certain version use the -v option and specify the version number within single quotes.

Take care

Surya Avantsa
240-552-9063

Puria jahanbani

Feb 15, 2016, 8:04:45 AM2/15/16
to RailsInstaller
It works!! Thank you So much!

Surya Avantsa

Feb 15, 2016, 8:05:48 AM2/15/16
to railsin...@googlegroups.com

You are welcome.

Take care

Surya Avantsa

Michael Ruifeng Ma

Feb 16, 2016, 5:33:14 AM2/16/16
to RailsInstaller
Below command works to install an older version.

gem install rails --no-ri --no-rdoc --version=4.2.3

Vicky cena

Jun 23, 2016, 12:18:33 PM6/23/16
to RailsInstaller

hi I've downloaded ruby on rails from rails installer and after the installation gets overed,the following screen appears(picture attached as a link) and i don't know what to do because it is the starting process of the learning and when i try to use the command gem install rails 4.2.3,it is showing that gem is not recognized as an internal or external command in the command prompt.please help with the correct solution to finish the installation successfully