Text issues in rails console in Git Bash installed with RailsInstaller

James Thompson

Mar 8, 2016, 12:50:23 PM3/8/16
to RailsInstaller
Hello!  I used RailsInstaller to install Ruby\Rails on 2 different Windows machines (one Win8.1 x64 and one Win10 x64).  In both installations I have a problem with running the rails console in Git Bash.  The first time I start the rails console (i.e. 'rails c') everything works fine.  However if I exit rails console (i.e. Ctrl - C) and then start rails console again in the same Git Bash session, the text input gets corrupted.  So if I run a command like "User.first" what actually gets executed might be something like "Uerfrt" (i.e. characters are missing).  Backspacing in the console input line doesn't work correctly (the cursor jumps around, some characters wont be deleted, etc.).  Exiting Git Bash and restarting resolves the problem for the first run of console, but subsequent runs are affected again.

Any ideas on how to fix it, or alternate bash shells to check out?  I tried downloading Git for Windows (https://git-scm.com/download/win) independently but did not have luck starting rails console correctly at all in that environment (it started with "switch to inspect mode" as described here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11221345/rails-console-runs-without-prompt but I could not find an irb.conf to modify)

Thanks!