How do you upgrade Rails from 4.1.8 to 4.2 from RailsInstaller?

Dsloan Media

Apr 16, 2015, 1:29:36 PM4/16/15
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
As the title says. My question is simple. I started learning Ruby on Rails and the class is based on Rails 4.2. But my issue is that RailsInstaller installed 4.1. I would appreciate any help with suggestions on how to upgrade to 4.2.

Surya Avantsa

Apr 16, 2015, 1:36:44 PM4/16/15
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

First off, the title doesn't say it is simple.It says upgrade. Being in the IT for so long, I know upgrade is anything but simple.

Having said that, the first step before you upgrade, make sure you have all tests created and ready to go.

Thank You,

Surya Avantsa

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 1:29 PM, Dsloan Media <dsloa...@gmail.com> wrote:
As the title says. My question is simple. I started learning Ruby on Rails and the class is based on Rails 4.2. But my issue is that RailsInstaller installed 4.1. I would appreciate any help with suggestions on how to upgrade to 4.2.

Evan Machnic

Apr 16, 2015, 2:57:40 PM4/16/15
to railsin...@googlegroups.com, railsin...@googlegroups.com
It can be as simple as updating the Gemfile and then running bundle update. Depending on the size of the app, it can be much more complex. Check out Google about upgrading Rails.

Evan

Evan Machnic
@emachnic

Dsloan Media

Apr 16, 2015, 3:07:24 PM4/16/15
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I guess my understanding is fuzzy. Is there anyway of updating the installed version of Rails from RailsInstaller is what I'm asking?

Evan Machnic

Apr 16, 2015, 3:37:08 PM4/16/15
to railsin...@googlegroups.com, railsin...@googlegroups.com
Check the documentation for Rubygems.