Ruby, Devkit, and Git already installed. Is it safe to run Railsinstaller?

Robert

Feb 22, 2015, 1:33:59 AM2/22/15
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
On Windows 8.1

I have already installed for several years from rubyinstaller.org:

rubyinstaller x64 (Updated to v2.1.5)
DevKit-mingw64 x64 (Updated to v4.7.2-20130224-1432)

and from git-scm.com

Git v1.9.4-preview20140929

Now I also want to install Rails (for a training course).
But the Railsinstaller package (Windows Ruby 2.1) also includes the above mentioned 3 components.

I don't feel like uninstalling all 3 first and then setting up the lot again.

Will the Railsinstaller be responsive? ;)

Cheers

Alex Chaffee

Feb 22, 2015, 2:17:24 PM2/22/15
to RailsInstaller
If you've already got Ruby installed, installing Rails is simply a
matter of running "gem install rails". Try that and see if that does
it for you. Only if it fails should you uninstall and try a new
install.

Good luck!

- A

--
Alex Chaffee - al...@stinky.com
http://alexchaffee.com

Robert

Feb 23, 2015, 6:15:43 AM2/23/15
to railsin...@googlegroups.com

Yes I could, but then I would miss out on the rest.
And of some included packages the version numbers are not mentioned.

Windows
Ruby 2.1
Packages included are
Ruby 2.1.5