How to either move Rails or install it in the proper directory...

Marcelo Berta

Jan 3, 2014, 4:48:37 PM1/3/14
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
I'm new to Rails but one recurring point, that often never is accompanied with solution, is when your Ruby or Rails are installed in the incorrect directory or why this happens to begin with.

I've attempted to install Rails by downloading and installing railsinstaller.org and simply installing after it downloads assuming it will install it in the correct directory.

When i do a "which ruby" i get  "/usr/bin/ruby" which i've read is not correct.

Instead i keep reading that thiis should be in "/usr/local/rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.93-p392/bin/ruby"  (the version i've read is the least important but rather the directory path is).

Again no one every explains why it should be in the path, or how to get it there if it isn't. I'm sure most assume this is a very easy thing to do but i can't seem to query the right question in google or stackoverlfow to get the answer to this specific question, which is:

1) How do i install Ruby and Rails respectively into the correct Path and which path should that be

or

2) How do i move my current install from directory that it is in into the correct path?

Any help or guidance on the matter would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Evan Machnic

Jan 4, 2014, 8:41:47 AM1/4/14
to railsin...@googlegroups.com

Have you made sure to pen a new Terminal window out reboot the computer?