Downloading Ruby on Rails for the first time....

Nancy Vallejo

Apr 6, 2015, 5:11:15 PM4/6/15
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
When downloading Ruby on Rails the Setup gives the option of Installing GIT? Do we check off that option as well or ignore it? Also, the database SQL Lite3 and Rails environment are those downloaded separately or are they included in the Windows RUBY 2.1 installer? Because I see SQL Lite and Rails listed separately under Windows RUBY 2.1 on railsinstaller.org

Evan Machnic

Apr 7, 2015, 9:05:20 PM4/7/15
to railsin...@googlegroups.com, railsin...@googlegroups.com
It'd probably best to just go with the defaults if this is your first time. If using RailsInstaller, everything's packaged and you don't even need to put it together like Ikea furniture.

Evan

Evan Machnic
@emachnic

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 5:11 PM, Nancy Vallejo <nncyva...@gmail.com> wrote:

When downloading Ruby on Rails the Setup gives the option of Installing GIT? Do we check off that option as well or ignore it? Also, the database SQL Lite3 and Rails environment are those downloaded separately or are they included in the Windows RUBY 2.1 installer? Because I see SQL Lite and Rails listed separately under Windows RUBY 2.1 on railsinstaller.org

bubah conteh

Mar 30, 2016, 9:56:45 PM3/30/16
to RailsInstaller
I downloaded the Ruby 2.1 pkg, which includes rails 4.2, bundler, devkit, etc. But when type rails -v in the command line it says "sys cannot find the specified path" please help.

Surya Avantsa

Mar 31, 2016, 8:23:06 AM3/31/16
to railsin...@googlegroups.com

I had the same problem initially. But since I use rubymine ide, it took care of the path issues and I'm able to run my rails apps just fine with rubymine.

Warren Postma

Oct 3, 2016, 1:02:18 PM10/3/16
to RailsInstaller
Unchecking the "git" option will result in some bogus warnings when you launch the Ruby and Rails command prompt.  Other than that, unchecking it and using the one in your main path (Git for Windows or TortoiseGIT) should be fine.

Warren