RailsInstaller/scripts/config_check.rb:12:in 'join' :can't covert nil into Scrypting <TypeError>

Jose Sanchez

Sep 21, 2014, 2:21:23 PM9/21/14
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
Hello fellow Rails programmers, after I run the RailInstaller this message the above message appear in Admin command prompt. Tx.

bjkeith

Dec 2, 2014, 2:06:58 AM12/2/14
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
A bit of a late reply, but I was bitten by this error recently with Windows 7 64 bit so thought I would share my experience.

After checking through the config_check.rb file and trying to trace where it was failing, I eventually discovered that problem was with running the railsinstaller-x.y.z.exe as an administrator.

When you "Run as Administrator" on Windows, the drive mappings of the non-admin, logged-in user are not available to the cmd shell opened as administrator.   For my case, HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH pointed to a networked share mapped to H:\

When the installer calls the config_check.rb script, is was being run under a different user account (one with admin privileges) that did not have a mapping for H: so the script fails.

As a workaround, after you see the cmd window with the error message, you can get the config_check.rb script to run by opening another cmd shell as the logged in, non-admin user, then running:

C:\RailsInstaller\Ruby2.1.0\bin\ruby.exe C:\RailsInstaller\scripts\config_check.rb

The script should run normally as it can now see the mapped drive.

Jose Sanchez

Dec 3, 2014, 4:56:17 PM12/3/14
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
Tx,