Installed RailsInstaller, but Ruby version is old and no Rails

Aniruddha Barapatre

Oct 23, 2013, 9:07:39 PM10/23/13
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
I downloaded the kit from website and ran it today.
After the installation, I went to my Terminal and gave following commands

ruby -v --> This one showed me as v1.8.7
rails --help --> Rails is not currently installed on your system

Anything I missed while installing?

Surya Avantsa

Oct 23, 2013, 9:36:26 PM10/23/13
to railsin...@googlegroups.com

You should run "gem install rails" command.

Surya Avantsa

Aniruddha Barapatre

Oct 23, 2013, 10:16:52 PM10/23/13
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
And how do I get latest ruby version. I thought RailsInstaller would upgrade it once installation is done.

Surya Avantsa

Oct 23, 2013, 10:24:17 PM10/23/13
to railsin...@googlegroups.com

That depends on the version of the railsinstaller that you first installed.

Choose to download the latest version of the railsinstaller.

Surya

Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S™4, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Aniruddha Barapatre

Oct 23, 2013, 11:58:32 PM10/23/13
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
I tried from the latest one which I downloaded today.

Evan Benjamin Machnic

Oct 24, 2013, 9:13:03 AM10/24/13
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Did you make sure and open a new Terminal session or restart the computer? Also, please make sure and let us know the operating system and version.

Thanks,

Evan B. Machnic - Deployment Engineer

Engine Yard
The Leading Platform as a Service
SKYPE: evan.ey
TWITTER: @emachnic

Aniruddha Barapatre

Oct 24, 2013, 7:50:30 PM10/24/13
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
Hey Evan,

I tried those steps too, but couldn't get it working.

I'm running it on OSX Mountain Lion.

Also, is there a plan for v10.9. I'm planning to update my OS, but am concerned if things would work on it.

Evan Benjamin Machnic

Oct 24, 2013, 8:27:59 PM10/24/13
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Support for 10.9 is planned but the 10.8 version may work. There are discussions internally about moving forward with the product and if we may need to bring in more developers.

Evan

Evan B. Machnic Deployment Engineer

Engine Yard
The Leading Platform as a Service

Paris Ionescu

Oct 25, 2013, 10:40:33 PM10/25/13
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
Regarding the upgrading of Ruby, it is recommendable to use a version manager and keep multiple versions installed with the ability to switch between them.
It's fairly simple to get started and let's you switch versions with a single command.  If it works out for you, I'd appreciate feedback.

Best,
Paris

Luis Lavena

Oct 26, 2013, 9:22:40 AM10/26/13
to RailsInstaller
Hello Paris,

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 11:40 PM, Paris Ionescu <parisi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Regarding the upgrading of Ruby, it is recommendable to use a version manager and keep multiple versions installed with the ability to switch between them.
It's fairly simple to get started and let's you switch versions with a single command.  If it works out for you, I'd appreciate feedback.

The user is running OSX, not Windows, so Pik recommendation might not work.

Also, Pik as been unmaintained for a few years, so is no longer a good recommendation.

Instead, I suggest a smaller and simpler tool called Uru: https://bitbucket.org/jonforums/uru/

It provides the same version switching capabilities but not automation of installation (neither Ruby or DevKit).

Hope that helps.

--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17

OB1

Nov 27, 2013, 12:07:40 AM11/27/13
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
Hey Evan.  Having OSX 10.9 Maverics install problems.
There should be an advisory against upgrading to Mavericks as there is no Rails for that as of yet.
Having lots of problems installing this thing no matter what I try.  Any fool proof tested method on Mavericks to get Rails installed?

Evan Machnic

Nov 27, 2013, 12:10:11 AM11/27/13
to railsin...@googlegroups.com

Check out one of the many other options out there: uru, RVM, chruby, rbenv

OB1

Nov 27, 2013, 12:14:02 AM11/27/13
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
So there is no package deal ONE Click and your Golden?  For Mavericks?  Is it really that problematic?

OB1

Nov 27, 2013, 12:55:35 AM11/27/13
to railsin...@googlegroups.com

TERMINAL
$gem install rails
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::FilePermissionError)
    You don't have write permissions for the /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0 directory.

OB1

Nov 27, 2013, 1:04:33 AM11/27/13
to railsin...@googlegroups.com

Cloning from git://github.com/MagLev/maglev.git, this may take a while depending on your connection.....
There has been an error while trying to fetch the source.
Halting the installation.

Evan Machnic

Nov 27, 2013, 6:45:15 AM11/27/13
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
If using system Ruby, you need to use `sudo gem install rails`. I suggest using something like ruby-build to install Ruby versions.

Evan B. Machnic // Deployment Engineer

Engine Yard

The Leading Platform as a Service

Office: 415.994.5365

Skype: evan.ey

Twitter:  @emachnic

Evan Machnic

Nov 27, 2013, 10:07:19 PM11/27/13
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
Compatibility is an issue with Mavericks. Fortunately, Mavericks comes with Ruby 2 and it's not that hard to install Rails.
--
Evan Machnic
emac...@gmail.com